Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virus may be causing endless restart cycle?

• Please log in to reply

kt42

kt42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

I'm having a problem getting to the log-on screen after the Windows XP screen comes on, and I think it is because of a virus. It started yesterday when I tried to turn on this laptop, it shows the "Toshiba" welcome screen, then a screen saying that "Windows did not start successfully - would you like to start normally, in safe mode, etc." I selected Safe Mode the first time.

Then it goes back to the Toshiba screen, and then to the Windows XP screen. Then the Blue Screen flashes for a millisecond (too quickly to read what it says) and it goes back to the "Windows did not start successfully" etc. No matter what I select - whether it be safe mode, last best configuration, or normal - it keeps repeating this cycle. I think it is a virus because I foolishly clicked on a link that a friend sent me in an IM a couple days ago, and then forgot about it -- needless to say, I feel really stupid. Hopefully someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks ahead of time!

Advertisements