Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bad motherboard possibly?

• Please log in to reply

CinnamonPillow

CinnamonPillow

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hello i think i may have a bad motherboard but i wanted to get some other peoples opinions on the topic before i order a new one.

so the issue: I have an emachines t5212 (i know its old and crappy but ive put some money into it) basically the problem is when i start up the computer it'll work good for about an hour tops. what happens is the mouse will stop working suddenly and i wont be able to move it at all. then a little bit after the mouse goes my wireless network adapter wont work then shortly after that my keyboard stops working. then finally at that point i have to push the power button to get the computer off and if i turn it back on it will do the same thing. now i have switched out mouses and keyboards as well as different wireless network adapters(before i switched the network adapter it would only work for about 30 minutes once i switched to the one im currently using it would work for about an hour) still the same issue which makes me think that the motherboard is going bad if everyhting stops working like that.

computer specs are

CPU : Intel® Pentium® D Processor 805 (dual-core)1
(2 x 1MB L2 cache, 2.66GHz, 533MHz FSB)
Operating System : Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
Chipset : ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200
Memory : 1024MB DDR2 (2 × 512MB), 533MHz (PC4200)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive : 200GB (7200rpm, 2MB cache)2
Optical Drives : 16x multiformat dual-layer DVD±RW
(Up to 8.5GB with dual-layer media)
Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 4x DVD+R DL, 40x CD-R, 24x CD-RW
Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM
Media Reader : 9-in-1 Digital Media Manager™ (Memory Stick®, Memory Stick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, CompactFlash®, MicroDrive, SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card™, USB 2.0)
Video : ATI Radeon™ Xpress 200 integrated graphics solution
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express® (PCI-E x16) slot available
Sound : 6-channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network : 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Modem : 56K ITU V.92-ready fax/modem (RJ-11 port)
Peripherals : Premium multimedia keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other : 5 USB 2.0 (1 in front, 4 in back), VGA external connector, parallel port, serial port, 2 PS/2 ports (keyboard and mouse), 5 audio ports (2 in front, 3 in back)

the only things that are different is i bought a new graphics card which is a nvidia GeForce 9600 GT and i also upgraded the ram to 2 gigs rather than the stock 1 gig. all drivers are currently up to date and the computer has been taken care of as well

everything was working fine up until about 3 or 4 months ago. would just like some extra input before i go and order a new motherboard

thanks in advance

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi CinnamonPillow

I would look at the case fans and CPU fan and heatsink. When was the last time you cleaned them?
It could be a main board, but you have too many odd things going on.

It could also be a PSU acting up.
When was the last time you cleaned the temp file and cache?
Have you defragged it recently?

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.
[/list]
Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

http://auslogics.com...defrag/download

123runner

CinnamonPillow

CinnamonPillow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the reply ill go ahead and downloads those programs and let them run. as soon as they are done i will let you know if my problem still persist

CinnamonPillow

CinnamonPillow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so it got done running about an hour or so ago eveything was going fine i was able to use it for about 45 minutes let it stand for 15 and when i got up to check it the mouse had already stopped working and as i type this now on my laptop the keyboard has stopped working