Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet controller driver needed

• Please log in to reply

teamfargo

teamfargo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I decided to reinstall windows XP on my Dell Dimension 4550 desktop. I think I got everything done ok except that my computer cannot find the software/driver for my ethernet controller.

On my other computer, I downloaded many many things that I thought would be the correct driver and saved them to a disk. However, my Dell does not agree. I am at a loss as to exactly what driver I need to install.

I cannot access the internet without the driver and the harward wizard keeps telling me to find the correct driver via internet! lol

Can anyone offer some specific advice and perhpas a link to a driver that may be the correct one? Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is this for an onboard ethernet port?
did you download and install the motherboard drivers? if you did a clean install of XP, you will need to load the motherboard drivers to activate all the onboard stuff, including any ethernet, onboard sound, AGP slot acceleration, etc.
the dell site should have those. look up your model of PC, and go to downloads, drivers.

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My computer came with at least five disks that I installed. Followed directions from dell site as I did this. I had been under the impression that these should have had everything...

As for the dell site, this is what they've listed for possible downloads for my system.
http://support.dell....0&os=WW1&osl=EN

Any idea what I might download?

Also, I am quite computer illiterate, so I must admit, I do not know if the motherboard drivers were on those disks. My sound works though. I don't know what the APG thing is though :tazz:

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ok...I somehow accidently fixed it :tazz:

Thank you for your assistance.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad you got it going. was the driver on those discs?
I forgot that dell would likely include those drivers with the recovery discs. hope I didnt freak you out! sounds like its all good now.

teamfargo

teamfargo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think the stuff uploaded onto the computer, but did self install (or whatever). So, I radnomly was clicking on stuff and something started running! lol