Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I want to build a computer but have a budget HELP Pls

• Please log in to reply

GSXR2010

GSXR2010

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, So I want to build a good machine and my budget is around $500-$550. What I have right now is a Dell Optiplex GX280, CPU: P4 2.8Ghz 1M 800. RAM: 4GB. Hard Drive: 2TB WD Caviar Green. Video Card: ATI Radeon 256MB (Don't know the model number YET will update as soon as possible). I use my 37" LCD TV as my monitor. So really my question is should or can I upgrade the Dell or should I just build my own machine with the budget I have. If I build my own machine for gaming, how should I go about it. Suggestions please. *Also my Dell has a problem, my CPU fan is on like hyper-drive. It sounds way to loud. I have received some suggestions but I want to see what else I can do to fix this problem. I called Dell and they said I need to update the BIOS online at there web-site and if that does not work to replace the heat-sink and fan which would cost 32.99. So any suggestions on that as well. Thanks everyone.
-Ryan

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

So I want to build a good machine and my budget is around $500-$550. ... If I build my own machine for gaming, ...

I hate to be the bearer of possibly depressing news but, IMHO, you cannot build a "good gaming machine" from scratch for "$500-$550". :)

Fortunately, you already have a few components that you hopefully will be able to use. So, assuming you can use your current: Desktop Case, Hard Drive, Video Card, CD/DVD drive, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers and Operating System:

ASRock X58 Extreme motherboard - $170
Intel Core i7-920 2.66 GHz CPU - $280
Patroit Viper 6GB (3x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3-1333 SDRAM - $159
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU - $90

Total - $699

Whoops, looks like I'm way over budget. ... I'll bow out now and let someone else try. :)

tiya267

tiya267

• Pip
  • 4 posts
you can build a great gaming pc in that budget...

for gaming it does not mean that you every thing best.
i recently build one pc for myself.

got i3-530
ati 5750
ddr3 4gb

it works awesome

got samsung LCD 22" which was also cheap.

i suggest build your own pc t will cost you vey less.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Hmmm... "Great" for $500?

The tax alone on what I would consider a "Great" gaming PC would be close to double that.

Guess it all depends on what you mean by "Great" eh? :)

tiya267

tiya267

• Pip
  • 4 posts
just name a game that cant be played by this config...

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I dunno, maybe FarCry 2 (set at Very High Quality, 4x AA, no AF) running on a 30" monitor (2560x1600) at say a 60 FPS average?

I'd be surprised if a 5750 could even pull a 30 on an i5-750, much less an i3-530.

Note: I say "a 60 FPS average" simply because if it ever drops below 40, I have this tendency to get a bit upset. After throwing away thousands worth of cheap, smashed stuff I swore I'd never buy another 'Yugo', (if you get my drift). If it won't go from 0-60 in 2.5 seconds and then hit 250 MPH in less than 60 seconds, it must be junk. :)

GSXR2010

GSXR2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Great stuff guys thanks a lot, but honestly ill stick to the xbox 360 if I want action with Far Cry 2 (for example). I guess when I say I want a good gaming machine, I will be playing MMO's like Diablo 3 if it ever comes out and WOW online. Stuff like that, im not very big on FPS on my CPU. But I should have emphasized that. I saw on Maximum PC MAG an article about building a kick-a$$ gaming machine for $500. Here check this out: http://www.maximumpc...ay_crysis_40fps

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Note 1: That's $500 for just the basic box. You'll still need a Monitor ($115), Keyboard & Mouse ($25), Speakers ($10) and an Operating System ($110) before you'll be able to fire up any games on it. $500 + $260 = $760, (plus S&H).

Note 2: "Kick-A$$"? It is hardly what I would define as a "strikingly or overwhelmingly tough, aggressive, powerful, or effective" Gaming PC.

Edited by SpywareDr, 18 April 2010 - 08:49 AM.

gibsonsg2121

gibsonsg2121

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well, if you wanted to stay away from Intel and its high prices...

You could go with a Phenom II 555 which has 3.2 ghz speed, easily overclocked to about 4.0, and possible 4 cores (guaranteed 2). A 785g Mobo would be an affordable addition. Put on 4gb of 1600 RAM and a decent hdd, and you're in business.

(in $US)
CPU- $100
Mobo-$85
RAM- $110
HDD- $80
case-$30
DVDR-$25
PSU- $40

Now, so far we're at $470. Your mobo likely has a GPU already in it. If you wanted to go higher for gaming, you can get a reasonable GPU for $50. So, $520. Add on a OS- $670. For budgetary reasons, use your old mouse, keyboard, and monitor.

This is NOT a high-level gaming system. But as far as value and capability, it's hard to beat.

I'm not Intel bashing- they really do make the best processors; but for your money, AMD offers more computing power per dollar.