Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Neep Help with Hardware drive!

• Please log in to reply

winniengo

winniengo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there,

Recently my secondary internal hard drive in my desktop PC crashed or at least I think it did, since I cannot go into it. I store all my photos and documents in there and hope that I did not lose it. Does anyone know how to fix this problem or is there no way to fix it? I know that there are places that can fix crashed drives which costs an arm and a leg and I do not want to do that, I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve my lost documents? I heard a friend tell me to buy an external enclosure and hook it to the computer to see if it will detect my drive but I tried that and so far it does not recognize the crashed drive. Please help if anyone knows what to do! Thankyou! I really could use the help!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
There is no software that can 'fix' a worn out hard drive.

Most hard drives are mechanical devices with platters spinning at thousands of revolutions per minute and heads that are constantly being yanked back and forth as they read/write data from/to the platters. These platters and head mechanisms are both mounted on precision bearings. When these bearings eventually wear out, the hard drive will no longer be able to spin the platters and/or postition the heads.

Damaged electronics is another reason for failure.

And, as I'm sure you can well image, there is no software that can fix worn out bearings or damaged electronics.

One solution is Ontrack.