Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WHY CANT I WINK?

• Please log in to reply

masadar

masadar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well after i install the installer from youre website the only thing i see new is a matthuffy folder in my program files with 1 wink in it and another folder called winnt with the files i would put in the system 32 folder the wink files all look like silver msn icons and when i doube click on the winks (not the installer) it just says installation failed please try again later is there specific places i have to unzip these winks to? hahaha is it ok if PM you if its cool PM me and give me a time youre online so i can get some better help with this and if thats not possible i guess we can just keep pluggin away at this Thanks a bunch Ciao!

Advertisements

willow28

willow28

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
edited

Edited by willow28, 16 August 2005 - 10:44 PM.

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*

Ok forget that I said anything about the security centre and try this... Go to your "control panel" and click on "windows firewall".

View Post

1.when you Run the setup, it may ask you to allow access to the internet! YOU MUST ALLOW IT! sometimes it will not ask untill you try and install a wink, THEN ALLOW IT! if it is blocked then you need to go to your firewall and unblock it!

2. You do NOT have to put anything in your system32!! If you have a file called WINNT with 3 files for system32 in, then you are NOT USING WIN 2000 and this file can be deleted or just left alone IT DOES NOTHING! I SUGGEST YOU LEAVE IT ALONE AS YOU MAY DELETE THE WRONG FILE!!!!

The problems that may hinder you are:
Security settings
Language settings "English"
messenger Version
NOT DOING AS HAS BEEN TOLD
Firewall
Messenger Plus
Other add ons for messenger
Knacked computer ;)

I strongly suggest that if anyone has been having problems, they Delete the installer, reset their firewall settings check what i have listed above and then install the setup, still making sure you check the above! :tazz:

Guest_matthuffy_*

Guest_matthuffy_*
If anyone is still having problems, i have another solution for you (no idea why i did not think of it before???)

Dowload MSNCERT once dowloaded double klick it and install! then try installing the winks again using my setupv3.

if there are still any problems, let me know as i have found another way!