Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to share files between XP and 7

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
So I just reinstalled xp on my desktop because file became corrupt and then my D: drive died so i no longer have all my junk on the desktop so i have to transfer it out of my Laptop running windows 7(its about 50GB would be annoying to use my 2GB flash drive). So i have a 2wire modem, the laptop is connecting wireless while the desktop is connected through Ethernet. I tried to share both D: drives from my desktop and laptop. I cannot see any other computer on the desktop other that its own (living room comp(Desktop))however i can ping the laptop successfully sending and receiving 4 packets. the desktop is running comodo internet security free edition. The laptop has avg anti vir and zonealarm free firewall. On the laptop when i go to network i can see the desktop but when i click to access it i get thing (Error code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found). When i attempted to ping the desktop from the laptop i get the request timeout. I have shutdown the laptop firewall zonealarm and the desktop Comodo and attempted to ping the desktop but still received timeout message. I thought perhaps something with the work group was messing up so i switch the work group to FACE and after doing so is when the laptop could see the desktop. Any help is appreciated thank you in advance.

April 23. Have just uninstalled zonelabs from windows 7 and reinstalled. Then when prompted to allow sharing or block it clicked allow. Also i added an IP(Desktop) to my trusted zone on Zonealarm firewall. On the desktop uninstalled comodo and installed avira with zonealarm and did both the approval on sharing and trusted ip (Laptop). Now both the desktop and laptop can see the other machine but access is still denied with error message from windows 7 as posted above. In the desktop when trying to access laptop I get \\will is not accessible. You might not have permission to use resources. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. the network path was not found. Now both machines are back to WORKGROUP.

Edited by willmon2000, 23 April 2010 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements