Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

https site won't open

• Please log in to reply

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Sweet. We'll make one change, then you can reboot and try applebank.com

At the command prompt, please type the following line:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1472 store=persistent

Advertisements

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Command entered, rebooted, still cannot access apple bank. :)
Windows Defender appeared on reboot, siad it was shut off,I minimized it to open my email and respond to you, just maxed it now and it is fine-weird! Anything to do with that cmd?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
So you can or can not surf to the Applebank.com site? (Sorry, I'm a little slow today.)

The command you performed set the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) size. As shown by the output you posted earlier in the thread, the default was 1500, which worked for 99.999% of sites, but not Applebank. You changed that to 1472, which resulted in no packet loss and no packet fragmentation, which should allow you to view Applebank.

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Cannot open site, in either browser-times out in FF, cannot display web page in IE 8

I am sure that your slow is my fast!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Try disabling Windows Defender please.

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
done-still no access

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Download and burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please.
http://releases.ubun...esktop-i386.iso

Once the data is on a CD or DVD, leave it in the optical drive. Reboot your computer, pressing Del, F12, or perhaps another key to access the BIOS settings, setting the first boot device as CD/DVD/optical or similar. Give the OS a minute or two to boot to the desktop. From there choose Applications|Internet|Firefox.

Then try the site again, please.
https://www.applebank.com/Default.aspx

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Forgive my ignorance, but why am I downloading and installing another OS Ubuntu)? Will it harm anything? Is it permanent or are you just using it to test? Will I be able to reboot without going into BIOS and using the CD after doing this?
:)

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
It's just for testing. The live CD will not touch Windows partitions in any way. If the BIOS is set to boot from CD as default, it will work without changing anything in the BIOS.

We are trying to determine if the problem is based on your Windows 7 OS or security applications running on it, which I believe it might be.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
The issue you are seeing is not all that common and can have several possible root causes. I appreciate you playing along, because I can not offer any easy peasy answer to you.

ATM I am looking at the site using the newest version of Ubuntu ran from a USB stick. The version I suggested to you *may* work in a similar fashion if the problem is not in your home network or an odd routing issue somewhere on the Innernetz.

Advertisements

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok, I understand! I so appreciate your help and expertise. I am downloading it now, may not have time to do more than that til later or tomorrow as have an engagement.
thanks, Kathy

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
That's good, as I have a few pressing things to take care of as well. Please post when you have the chance and I'll follow up as quickly as I can.

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ubuntu worked fine! Was able to open the site, log on, etc. Now, I hope that helps you figure out the problem with FF and IE8--no rush!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
It's now clear the problem may be Firefox or IE8 or one of the security/anti-malware apps you are running.

You can download and install Opera, being sure to leave the default settings. This may well allow you access to the Applebank site when you need to access it. Feel free to surf other sites using IE8 or Firefox.

http://www.opera.com/

A more cautionary approach:
Since you've already used Ubuntu 9.10 successfully, you could choose to continue using it for banking and browsing other secure sites which require a secure connection. It is clear to me you have done your homework and protect your Windows machine as much as is possible. Your efforts and diligence are to be commended.

Please let me know what you think and we'll proceed from there.

heidkat

heidkat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Installed Opera, tried site-opera_and_apple_bank.png
Same message with https:// applebank.com

The site opened just fine, with IE8 or FF and with all current security before I had to do a full recovery. I can't understand why it won't open now. I have disabled and even uninstalled various security without resolution. Maybe I should just do another full recovery? I don't want to, but need to access that site without going through major stuff each time I need to do so. 2 browsers are enough to handle!