Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how should i set up my network for a 360,ps3,2 laptops and 1 desktop

• Please log in to reply

jeffrc

jeffrc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
how should i set up my security on my network for a good conection for my xbox360,ps3,and laptops. i have a lynksys wrt160n version 2 and i have a n network adapter for my xbox.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Get yourself a USB key.
Surf to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
(Yes, it's a secure page)
In the third box down (63 random alpha-numeric characters), copy the entire key to Notepad. Save this file as wpa_key.txt and have a copy on the USB drive.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. Enter the password, which is probably 'admin', unless it's been changed.
Under the Wireless tab, Security mode, choose WPA2 Personal. Under that choose AES. Under Shared key, paste the key you've saved to wpa_key.txt. Change the SSID to something you'll recognize, but not your address and not your name. Let's call the SSID "foo22", for example.

Save your changes.

Now, take the USB key to each wireless laptop, and try connecting to foo22. It will prompt you for the key. Simply copy and paste, then click on Connect. It should work at this point.