Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Start Taskbar missing and rundll32 message

• Please log in to reply

schmitjm

schmitjm

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hello:
I have several issues going on with my computer.
1) Start Taskbar and all start up icons are not showing up. All desktop icons are there but can't use the Start button.
2) When I try to open a program from the desktop i get a pop up window asking to choose the program you want to use to open this file. When I right click on desktop icons/properties get the message: Control panel: C:\windows\system32\rundll32.exe application not found
3) None of the control panel icons work, get the same rundll32.exe message
4) Can not get the internet to come up so hard to download any fixes.
5) When i go to task manager - new task and try to type anything in and hit enter I get the same message asking to choose the program you want to use to open this file.
6) I have Malwarebytes anti-malware but when i click on it i get the error message: failed to load control vbalGrid from vbalsgrid6.ocx

So I have been reading some fixes but they all require either to download some program, which i can't do since no internet, or type coding into task manager which i can't do b/c of the error message about which program to use.

Any thoughts????
Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If you have your XP cd and your Product Key number try this:

1- Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2- When it boots from the cd you will see "press any key to boot from CD" you only need to do this the first time after that if everything went like it should you will not need to boot from the cd again and once your XP installation is repaired and working well (hopefully) you can go back in your BIOS and put your hard drive as the first boot.

3- When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

4- Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. Do Not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, Do Not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

5- Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

6- Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, END setup.

7- Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

If this fixes your XP please note that you may have to reinstall some Windows update since some files from updates have been change back to its original cd version.

Hope this will help

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I forgot to add that if your problem was caused by virus malware or any other malicious program this or these programs will probably still be on your computer only the files it had affected would haver been change back to its original version but the malicious programs might reaffect them at some point so if you are able to work on your system please do all the steps possible to clean your system as soon as possible.

schmitjm

schmitjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
all i have is the reinstallation Cd Microsoft Windows XP Prof. from Dell. Will that work?
Is there a way to do a system restore without the Windows Start taskbar??

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Since you obviously can't post any logs, state so in your first post.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You might have a repair fonction on your DEll cd

You can try a system restore from Safe Mode aince i am guessing that if you try the regular way it will tell you the same message.

In safe mode you probably will ahve the same problem but it is worth the try.

To get to safe mode: when you boot press F8 repeatably before you see the Windows XP logo with the bar it will get you to a menu with different options, choose Safe Mode.

schmitjm

schmitjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i have the Windows XP Cd up and here are my options:
-Install Windows XP
-Learn more about the set up process
-install optional window components
-perform additional tasks
-check system compatibility

will any of these work?

schmitjm

schmitjm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have already been in Safe mode and have the same issues!!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Follow Broni's advice please