Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 95

• Please log in to reply

patm82

patm82

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a old windows 95 computer i purchased oregon trail 5 and carmen sandiago, they say there campatible with windows 95, but when i go to install them it starts to install but then they get a shortcut error and thats it, whats wrong? please help me! want to play my games :)

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi patm82 and welcome to G2G!

What is the exact error message you receive?

What are the specs of your PC?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi patm82 :)

I remember Oregon Trail and Carmen Santiago from my days.

Many years ago it was to run om 95/98 computers.
If you purchased Oregon Trail 5th edition then it only runs on "System Compatibility
Windows 98/2000/Me/XP". Oregon Trail 5th edition.

You can get it to run on XP but theres some work involved. Read Here and Here

The System Requirements for 5th Edition are XP and Vista.
I would say that to install the 5th edition you need to "emulate" windows 95.

So what I have found is that it will not run on a windows 95 unless it is a original copy.

I have not looked at Carmen Santiago but it is probably the same.

123runner

patm82

patm82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it says severe short cut error, that whats im comfused about i got it on amazon.com it said its compatible windows 95, but when i got the disc it said 98 and up, but the carmen i got with it had the same requirements as oregon trail but it said it is compatible with windows95 , they both get the severe short cut error, are they campatible or not, sorry for my spelling, and i'm not a computer wiz.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Some sites seem to think Oregon Trail 5 is compatible with Windows 95 but others suggest that it's Windows XP and above. I think there's two different versions, the original and a slightly newer downloadable version.

Can you post a screen shot of the error message? please

To do this, get the error message on screen > press the print screen button (Prt Scrn) > open Paint > click edit > click paste > click file > click save as > save the file.
Once you've saved the file reply to my message > scroll down to attachment editor > click browse > browse to where you saved the file > click open and then click upload. This will upload the screen shot so I can have a look at it.

Which Carmen Sandiego game are you referring to as there are at least 18 of them?

Also can you post your PC specs?

Belarc should work OK on Windows 95, download it, install it and it should display a html with your specs. I only need the operating system, processor, system model, memory module, main circuit board and drives categories, the rest I don't need.

patm82

patm82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i don't have a printer, nor is it hooked up to the internet, there the learning company ones, amazon said there win95 compatible, and aparentley its not. i just wanted to play some old games, i'l stick with my ps3. what waste of money :)

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Ok we'll have to do this without a screen shot or PC specs.

Right click over the shortcut and click properties, this will display all the properties of the shortcut.

What does the the target line say?
Does the folder it links to exist?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Also, what are the actual titles of the software.

For instance, I found the one I own of Oregon Trail.
It is Oregon Trail 2 and states on the box it is windows 3.1 and windows 95 compatible.

patm82

patm82

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
lol oregon trail 2 is the game we been playing, as far as the games or they are oregon trail 5, and for carmens, where in the world and were in the usa and great chase through time, there by the some place the learning company, the cases look about the same, they have pretty much the same system requirements. accept oregon trail 5 and 1 carmen says 98 and above while the others say 95 and above, but they all have the same problems, u put the disc in it, it shows up and u click to install it, it go's to a blue installing screen, it installs files, then it says creating shortcut, halfway through it stops and it says severe shortcut error, thats it! they all do the same thing i've tried it over and over,