Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nerd/Geek Tattoo

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok, anyone who knows me knows i'm a fan of ink and i've got quite a lot. so far i don't have any nerd/geek related stuff.

the other day i found this slice of awesome, specifically the Ethernet pinout portion. being a network admin, i tend to have to make cables quite frequently, and no matter how many i make i still have to look up the pinouts, this would solve this problem

so i played around in illustrator and came up with these:

Straight through pinouts
ET1.png ET2.png ET3.png

Crossover pinouts
ET4.png ET5.png
ET6.png ET7.png
ET8.png ET9.png

which ones do you like the best? what would you change about the ones you don't like?

Edited by dsenette, 23 April 2010 - 02:46 PM.

Advertisements

Matthew C. Miller

Matthew C. Miller

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
dsenette - my favorite would be the angled layout (3rd image down in the crossover section). I would add a straightthrough 2nd end to each, ending up with a triad of A and B

A1 A2
XA
XB
B1 B2

For quick reference. Because the standard is usually with orange rather than yellow wires, I'd change that. I would second the info on the original blog post - use your non-dominant hand for this: It's the one you'll most likely be holding the wires in!

Then once it was done, I'll tell all my non-geek friends who asked that it was a regularized fraud-protection identity tag (RFID tag) and that I could set them up with their own, to protect all their e-mail accounts, for a fee! :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I would add a straightthrough 2nd end to each, ending up with a triad of A and B

i don't think that would be completely neccessary, the other end is pinned exactly as the first in an ST cable. the little round dot on the side corrosponds to pin one so on either end you just start at 1 and go on to the end. if i were ever to do a rollover cable then i'd need to do the matching end for the roll over.

and yeah...i know this is yellow and not orange. i don't particularly like orange as a color (i live in tennessee, if you had any idea how much orange i see in a day, you'd hate orange too) but i'll probably have to go the orange route anyway, it'll probably show up better than yellow

as far as the dominant hand, with this one i don't know it's as big of an issue. since you're holding something in your hand and looking at the tattoo, you should be able to do both with the tattoo on either arm (depending on location), the ruler one on the post i linked to had to be on the non-dom arm because you're litterally holding something up to the tattoo to get the measurement. by default it's going on my non-dominant arm because my dominant arm is already reserved for other things (it's my family/loved ones arm) but if someone else wanted to do one of these (which anyone can) they shouldn't feel limited to location

rfinterference

rfinterference

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
That is a fantastic idea wish I had thought of it. I personally like the first image of the A/B straight through.