Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Egis update error

• Please log in to reply

Jamtam77

Jamtam77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I am in need of some help. When I start my laptop when the desktop shows a message appears saying that an egis error has occurred. How do I fix this?

Also I can no longer save any word documents, open my Itunes and another error appears saying "catalyst control host is missing"

Any help would be appreciated as I am clueless. :)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post EXACT error messages.
I've never heard of "egis".

Jamtam77

Jamtam77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have listed the errors below.

"EgisUpdate.exe-Application error
The application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142). Click OK to close the application."

The second proble I have is when I open word document.

"Word could not create the work file.Check the temp enviroment variable." then the document opens but I cannot save and the following message appears
"Changes have been made that affect the global template,Normal. Do you want to save?" then when I click yes it does not save and will only close the window when I click no.

The error I have when I try to open my Itunes application I get the following message
"The Itunes application could not be opened. An unknown error has occurred (-50)."

The final error is a message which appears every now and again saying something about the catalyst control host has stopped working and trying to find a solution to problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try to reinstall Office and iTunes.

Also...

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

mji1965

mji1965

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Found this error on my Mother's netbook today 2/9/11. As far as I can tell this is some kind of virus or malware program. Try running either an antivirus scan or malware scan that might clean it up.

Chunks_

Chunks_

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

Egisupdate is related to a peice of software you probably installed. Its wont be picked up by virus or spyware protector. Here is a link to some more information on the error.

I suspect you have winlocker installed and its the autoupdate software for winlocker thats erroring.