Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

smoke came from external hard drive now no power

• Please log in to reply

Bru2807

Bru2807

• Pip
  • 1 posts
smoke came from external hard drive now no power. is the data likely to be ok?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
most likely the data is okay, but whether you'll be able to access it is a different matter as it depends where specifically the smoke came from (ie from the wiring inside the external enclosure, or from the circuitry within the drive itself.

Only way to find out is to remove the drive and put it inside a different external enclosure.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

most likely the data is okay

I agree because I suspect the smoke came from the enclosure and not the drive itself. That said, smoke usually means there was a short, or zero resistance to ground (Earth). Ohm's Law says, 'when resistance goes down, current goes up.' So it is likely there was high current through the associated circuits that "fried". My point is, keep your fingers crossed, and hope the drive was not damaged in the process - or the USB port too. Do not attempt to use that enclosure again. I would recommend you install that drive into another computer as a "secondary" drive - that is, NOT the boot drive, then run chkdsk /r on it to make sure it is fine.

Then, get yourself some sort of viable backup plan.