Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98SE tweaks

• Please log in to reply

S A A B

S A A B

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts
I have a Gateway solo laptop 333Mhz intel celeron and 96 MB of RAM. I wanna get a last boost out of this by tweaking 98SE before i put linux on it. I was wondering if there are any working tweaks that will make it a little faster.

any help would be great.

thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
clean out your temp folders

run a scan disk

defrag once, then once again

update drivers

you don't have enough memory for tweaking the swap file much, but you can tweak your system cache a little. Open notepad or another text editor, open your SYSTEM.INI file from your Windows directory and find
the section starting with [vcache], and add the following two lines, or modify them if they already exist.
MinFileCache=0
MaxFileCache=24576

Open the CONFIG.SYS file found in the root directory of your C: drive using Notepad or another text editor

Add a new line if not there that says
"DOS=HIGH,UMB",
or modify the exiting line beginning with "DOS=" and change it to "DOS=HIGH,UMB" to load the DOS processor into high memory.

Make sure the following lines also exist at the top of the file, without them DOS can not be loaded into upper memory.
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS