Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to restore xp to factory settings?

• Please log in to reply

ryluck

ryluck

• Pip
  • 5 posts
i have a sony grv 550 laptop, running windows xp...specs are easy to find. have tried booting with f 8, f 10, f 11, none seem to work, the computer just stops booting, waits until i release the key, and then starts up normally. any suggestions?
thanks in advance...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What happens if you just boot normally, please ie: not F8 which is normally Safe Mode etc and not F10/11 which is usually recovery

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You should not have to press any key to boot.

F8 is the key you press when you want to go into SAFE MODE and other choices

F10 or F11 is probably the key you press to get into your Bios setup the other I am not sure

What happens when you touch nothing does it stop booting, if yes at what screen

ryluck

ryluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the computer boots fine, runs fine. i am trying to restore to factory settings, to erase all user data.
for this reason i have tried holding f 10 and 11 while starting....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If the computer is working well and you restore factory settings you will lose ALL except what was loaded when it was sold. ie: the Operating System and any software that was installed.
Having had a look at the specs this was quite a bit.
Go to the Sony site. Type in grv-550. It is in fact a Sony Vaio and all the guides, user instructions etc are there for your perusal including how to restore to factory condition.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
When looking at the manual for your System Sony Vaio PCG-GRV550 it is mentioned in there that you should have received a recovery CD with your labtop and you need to use this to do a XP recovery.

ryluck

ryluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the sony site does not have anything for this model as it is very old. i will not use the computer again, i just need to delete all personal information so it can be donated ....

ryluck

ryluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ah i see, pcg grv550, now sony recognizes the model.

ryluck

ryluck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
found recovery cd's ... thanks for your help