Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop has nothing but icons, nothing works HELP!

• Please log in to reply

sammiec86

sammiec86

• Pip
  • 7 posts
When I started up my computer it was running funny and finally, after forever, my desktop opened. Unfortunately there was nothing on my screen but icons. The only way I can do anything is through task manager. But I don't know what is wrong or how to fix it. I can't connect to the internet, run scan for viruses or pretty much anything else. I have been looking and found solutions but none have worked. One mentioned something about reinstalling windows but I don't have a CD drive. My computer is an HP mini. Does anyone know what is wrong with my computer? PLEASE HELP! I AM DESPERATE!

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Try this:
  • In Task Manager, click "File" > "New Task (Run...)"

• In the "Open:" box, type in:

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and click "Ok". You should now see System Restore.

• In System Restore, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" and click "Next".

• On the calendar, click one of the bold dates that is back before you started having problems with the computer.

• Click "Next" and then "Next" again.

• Hopefully, when System Restore is done your system will be running as it should be.

Note that System Restore will still be doing a bit of cleanup even after it reboots your computer. Be patient and let it finish.
If that didn't solve the problem, repeat the procedure but this time select an even earlier date.

Then come back here and let us know how it went ...

sammiec86

sammiec86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did exactly what you told me to but a message popped up "system restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart you computer, and then run system restore again." So I restarted my computer and tried again but I keep getting this message. :)

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.