Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

dispn0ygonekrazy

dispn0ygonekrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Im thinking of updating to windows xp sp2 i mean ive updated in the past before but it made my comp run slower and my internet connections were just to slow but as of the infectional programs going around should i stick with my SP1 or should i o the Update, is it necessary?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
It does provide better security so from that standpoint it is worth doing. I didn't have any problems when I went to SP2. I would suggest ordering the CD from M$ (it is free) rather than downloading the HUGE file. That is what I did. Main complaint I heard from people that did it by download is that you will grow OLD waiting for it to get done.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
SP2 has adds more drivers for new hardware devices. It also has many OS bug fixes. You'll get the Security Center, Windows Firewall, IE enhancements, and a wireless network wizard.

The Security Center and bug fixes are enough reasons to install SP2 alone.

Be sure you backup your data before the install.

Good luck..... :tazz:

dispn0ygonekrazy

dispn0ygonekrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
thank you guys for the replies looks like im going to do an UPDATE =] haha the cd thing i dont mind waiting so ima just straight download it