Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is it possible to make desktop wireless without DSL or Cable service?

• Please log in to reply

Kback

Kback

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am soooooo confused and cannot seem to get a straight answer anywhere! All I want to do is make my desktop wireless. All we have in this area is Dial-up and I cannot take it anymore!!!!! I have been told it is possible with the right equipment and then I have also been told that if I do not have Cable or DSL internet service provider that it is NOT possible at all! So which is it? Can it be done without cable or DSL? There is no cable or DSL available in my area. Can I go wireless with a router and a USB adapter? What do I have to do???? Someone please please help me with a straight answer. If I have to use this dial-up much longer I might have to lose my mind!

Thanks for any aand all help with this for a very NON computer geek :)

Edited by Kback, 26 April 2010 - 12:35 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

I'm a little confused as to what it is you're trying to do.
If you just want to give your desktop pc wireless capability, then all you need is a wireless adapter (e.g USB or PCI one). However, this won't get you on the Internet, it will just allow you to communicate with other wireless devices e.g. a wireless printer for example.

If you are looking for a way of getting an Internet connection that doesn't require ADSL or Cable and is faster than dial-up, then I can only suggest mobile Internet. This uses the mobile phone network, so if you don't get a good mobile phone signal in your house, then this is not a good option for you. If you go down this route, the provider will supply an USB modem which you simply plug into your computer and away you go. Be warned though - although it is definitely faster than dial up, you won't get the same speeds as a lot of ADSL/Cable broadband connections are capable of.