Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cpu at 100%, doesn't add up, not using anything

• Please log in to reply

yyy87

yyy87

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi,

I was recently on these forums looking for help since my computer randomly slowed down dramatically. There was no malware on my computer and I was sent to this forum. My computer has become unbearably slow. I have even factory reinstalled it and after installing my programs and putting my files on it it is STILL slow. the CPU is always at 100% even though if i order the list of processes by CPU % it rarely adds up to more than 30-40%. I used to be able to use video chat on skype, surf the web, use thunderbird, microsoft office programs all at once but now i can only do one at a time. also, firefox never quits fully and keeps telling me the process is open so i have to go close it via cntrl-alt-delete and then restart it.

does anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong with my computer? i would greatly appreciate any and all advice.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows logo key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")
- installed security programs (antivirus, firewall)

Download Process Explorer: http://technet.micro...s/bb896653.aspx
Unzip ProcessExplorer.zip, and double click on procexp.exe to run the program.
Click on View > Select Colunms.
In addition to already pre-selected options, make sure, the Command Line is selected, and press OK.
Go File>Save As, and save the report as Procexp.txt.
Attach the file to your next reply.

yyy87

yyy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Broni, thanks so much for your reply!
I used Speccy to get the specs because the windows-pause or break thing wouldn't work:

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.40GHz 55 °C
Penryn 45nm Technology
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz 5-5-5-15

Hard Drive Capacity = 136 GB
Free Space = 10.4 GB

I have Sophos anti-vir (had to install it for my school's network) and i think Windows Firewall. I have the main anti-spyware software that is on this site too.

I've attached the procexp file. Thanks again for your help!!

Attached Files

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're running low on hard drive free space (10.4GB).
Windows needs at least 15% of a free space to run nicely (20GB in your case).
You have to move some stuff out.
I'm curious how you manage to use so much space already after fresh Windows installation....

Then, you do have some high CPU usage.
System Idle Process (CPU not used) is virtually at 0%, so you don't have any computing power at all.
Main CPu cycles takers are:
SavService.exe (Sophos) - 43%
OUTLOOK.EXE - 41%
Why? I'm not sure. You may want to talk to school's IT people and show them this topic.

Edited by Broni, 27 April 2010 - 10:12 AM.

yyy87

yyy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Broni,

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

I never knew free hard disk space was related to computer speed.. the reason why so much of it is full is I moved in all my pictures and videos which take up most of my hard drive. I will move some out onto my external hard drive.

Also, does Outlook normally take up this much CPU? Thanks for looking at my log, I'll ask my school as to the Sophos.

yyy87

yyy87

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Also, I've noticed sometimes explorer.exe is taking up 50+% of the CPU, what is the reason for this?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

does Outlook normally take up this much CPU?

No, but it may be connected to Sophos issue, so you may want start with resolving Sophos issue.