Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help needed on keyboard!

• Please log in to reply

Wol

Wol

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I recently upgraded - and that's a debatable issue - from XP to Windows Seven.

The computer is a Pavilion desktop, P4 at 3.2GHz. Bought in Australia, wireless keyboard and mouse.

I don't know whether it's hard- or soft-ware related, but there are a couple of peculiar things relating to the keyboard which have appeared after W7 was installed:

1) If I want to put quotes around a word starting with O or o, capital Ö or lower font ö (just like that) appear instead of a quotes symbol. If I press <shift> + (the quotes key) nothing happens until I press the O key - and then the O or o umlaut appears!

2) Relating presumably to the same thing, if I want to put a word in quotes - like "this" (unless it starts with an O or o - see above) the first " doesn't appear until the next character is entered. Sometimes the second " will appear alongside the first eg., ""in quotes.

I have tried both US and US International keyboard settings with the same result.

Am I going mad?

Edited by Wol, 27 April 2010 - 04:55 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Was the keyboard bought in Australia to ?

I would try different language bar set up to see if one fits the layout of your keyborad.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
Did your keyboard come with it's own driver? If so, you mey have to upgrade it for Windows 7.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
The keyboard and mouse - both wireless - are original HP and came with the Pavilion. I guess the drivers were installed as part of the W7 setup - they both worked after W7 was installed, anyway.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Change the language to English Australian and the keyboard to US. Move the selection to the top of the list and set as default. Delete any other combinations.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Hi.

Change the language to English Australian and the keyboard to US. Move the selection to the top of the list and set as default. Delete any other combinations.

Hey - that worked!

I didn't even know there *was* an "English Australian", and I still don't understand what the tie-up between the keyboard setting and the "language" is but - many thanks!
:)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Glad it worked, and thanks for posting your results.

If you set the language to English UK keyboard UK the upper case 4 will come up as a pound sign and if you change the keyboard to Dvorák, heaps of keys are assigned different letters. The language you set will give you different spelling when you do a spell check, IE color vs colour.

Wol

Wol

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Thanks again.