Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop won't charge

• Please log in to reply

stillwaters

stillwaters

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi!

I have a HP Compaq 6510b laptop that won't charge or power on when I plug it in. I know it works because I traded batteries with someone else who has a hp laptop and it worked. At first I thought it was the charger, but I brought it to the shop and they insist the AC adapter is fine. If I'm willing to open my laptop myself, is it possible it's a loose wire or something I can fix without replacing the motherboard? I appreciate any help/advice you can give me!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you found your problem already...replace the battery... :)

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for replying!

The problem is when I plug it in, with or without the battery, the power light doesn't go on, and it won't recognize it's plugged in. My friend put my battery in his computer and it was able to charge in his computer. So I think it must be the piece the AC adapter plugs into on the side. The question is do I need to replace the whole motherboard, or can it just be a loose wire or something.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry...I misunderstood ...I thought you put his battery in your laptop and it worked...
try his AC adapter on your computer...
if after you put your battery in your friends computer and it charged the battery up did your computer boot up and run ok...

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
The laptop worked when I put his battery in. His computer is older so the battery is the same but the part of the adapter that fits in the laptop is a different size.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
take your battery over to his computer...charge it up all the way...put your battery in your computer...does your computer work properly...yes...
if his adapter won't fit in your computer you will have to find someone with the same adapter yours uses or someone with one of those universal adapter and see if your battery will take a charge in your computer

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm having trouble finding someone with a compatible adapter. I'll see what I can do. I just bought an anti static wrist strap just in case.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I just bought an anti static wrist strap just in case.

:)

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I don't think the problem is the cord because I took it to a shop and they tested it and said they were able to charge a different laptop with it. I think it's more likely the internal power connector in the motherboard as detailed here. The problem is I don't really have experience soldering - or taking apart laptops. I found this manual and I got an antistatic wrist strap in case I decide to just go ahead with it. The laptop isn't under warranty anyway and won't work, so I don't know what I have to lose.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since your sure its not the adapter...and you don't have any experience soldering...pull the laptop apart and take the mobo to a shop and have them solder it for you...they should only charge a few bucks

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
That's a really good idea :) . The soldering was what I was most worried about. Of course there's a first time for everything, but I'd rather have the laptop working and get my experience with something less sensitive. I have an A+ study book, so any fixing experience I could get is valuable. Is it safe to transfer the mobo to a shop without an antistatic bag? I don't want to get it out and then fry it. Also is it safe to put components directly on a wooden desktop? Or should I get an antistatic mat also? I'm pumped for for this - I have my hammer all ready :)

Thanks for your help!

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi happyrock!

I just had a few more questions regarding taking it apart safely and the danger of static electricity:

Is it safe to transfer the mobo to a shop without an antistatic bag? I don't want to get it out and then fry it. Also is it safe to put components directly on a wooden desktop? Or should I get an antistatic mat also?

Thanks for your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

is it safe to put components directly on a wooden desktop

yep...cardboard is ok too...or foam

Is it safe to transfer the mobo to a shop without an antistatic bag

antistatic bag would be the best....but you can put it in a cardboard box and use foam to keep it from moving around then be gentle with it on the way to the shop

stillwaters

stillwaters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
OK great, I'll let you know what happens :)