Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC keeps freezing/restarting - any ideas?

• Please log in to reply

Bulb

Bulb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys

There is something infuriatingly wrong with my PC. I turn it on, log in, and then it just freezes or restarts (tends to freeze more often), or popping up the Blue Screen. Every time I want to use my PC, I have to log in, then be prepared for it to freeze up and restart it, and sometimes I have to repeat this on several occasions just so I can use the [bleep] machine. Running several programs at once may trigger this, and gaming makes the PC particularly susceptible. The problem wasn't always like this, although over time I have noticed it getting progressively worse.

Specs are:
MB: MSI ms-7360
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E6750, 2.66GHz
RAM: DDR2 2GB Generic brand
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8800GT
PSU: Flexiglow 500W

One suggestion has been that the Flexiglow 500 might be the problem, as it is just enough to power an 8800GT. Also, it gets some average reviews which mention stability problems under stress - this may be the malfunctioning device, or I may be wrong.

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
I'd probably start out by testing the RAM overnight with either or both of the following:If you see ANY errors in one, retest with the other to make sure.
If you see ANY errors in both, replace the RAM.

Oh, something else I'd do before running the test(s) is reset the CMOS|BIOS to factory defaults.

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
If nothing points in thr direction of the RAM then I would make sure that the Heatsink isn't clogged with dust, if all of the fins are clogged with dust then the heat is going to be blocked and wont escape, which would cause overheating...

Also, make sure that there is sufficient TIM between the heatsink and the CPU :)