Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery discs won't load needed files

• Please log in to reply

Gertiesmertz

Gertiesmertz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am looking for help any and every place I can find it. I replaced a HDD and had to use third party recovery discs. I tried the discs 4-5 times, they would work up to disk 8 and then the drive spit it out saying it was the wrong disc. Also kept getting error messages- C:\Preload\Windows.32 cannot be recovered and C:\Tools\Windows\Creator\Tool CD.inp cannot be recovered. Option to retry/abort; retry just keeps popping up every few seconds, abort gives option to quit y/n. On the last try I said no and it continued on and said recovery complete.
I got XP up and running and did all the updates. The new cd rom won't read, and since I don't have the files I need, I don't have any drivers. Is there anyway I can get these files?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First check in your Bios if your new cd rom is recognize in there.

Gertiesmertz

Gertiesmertz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, it is reconized. I ran the Microsoft Troubleshooting program (ATS)and it said the disc is not readable.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am sorry I missread your post and thought you said it was not recognize by windows, your problem is that you put a cd in your cd rom but it will not read the disc.

What are the files you refering to that you say you are missing. Because the trouble might be your cd-rom and not missing files to make it work, If recognize in Bios and in Windows then it should read your cd/dvd.

Couple of questions:

- How many different cd/dvd discs did you try in it
- is it a cd rom, a cd burner a dvd rom or a dvd burner
- The disc you tried what was it? an original cd/dvd or a burned cd/dvd or a burned rewritable cd/dvd you tried in your cd/dvd rom
- when you say new is it from the store with garantee
- If a cd-rom did you maybe try to read a dvd
- Rarer in todays new models but some dvd-rom can only read dvd-r or dvd+r