Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking for a WiFI Router that works with Cellular Aircards

• Please log in to reply

Mark W

Mark W

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a Sierra Wireless 881U USB Aircard that I use with AT&T's 5GB/month data plan. It works well now since I just use it on a couple laptops I have but now that I'm buying an iPad I want to avoid an extra $30/month for data and just share the data plan with it. Since the iPad doesn't have USB that means I'll need a solution to use Wi-Fi on it.
I came across the Cradlepoint PHS-300. It's nice since it has an internal battery or can plug in and is fairly small and I simply plug in my aircard to make a local wi-fi access point that I can use on the go with either my laptop or iPad.
My question: Are there other options on the market? Cradlepoint makes some others but they don't have a battery. I want one with the most battery life for the smallest sizes and have been unable to find any from Linksys but are there other items like this on the market?

Also, another question. I'm happy with AT&T's data plan but my contract is up shortly. Does anyone have opinions of Verizon or Spring or even T-Mobile? I don't know much about T-Mobile and it seems like Verizon's plan is similar and even Sprint's current 3G plan is similar. it seems once 4G is available in an area though for the same price of $59.95/month you get unlimited data. that sounds too good to be true and is it really true and is the service and speed good?

Thank you for your help with the above.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the first question, google "cellular router" or something to that effect, there are A LOT of them on the market these days

Also, another question. I'm happy with AT&T's data plan but my contract is up shortly. Does anyone have opinions of Verizon or Spring or even T-Mobile? I don't know much about T-Mobile and it seems like Verizon's plan is similar and even Sprint's current 3G plan is similar. it seems once 4G is available in an area though for the same price of $59.95/month you get unlimited data. that sounds too good to be true and is it really true and is the service and speed good?

I'm a Verizon customer and i'm EXTREMELY happy with their service. of course i don't pay for it (work phones etc..) so that's probably why i like them so much. there services is reliable and i like their product range. since your contract is going up, it might be easiest to just buy one of the cellular routers from your cell company of choice. Verizon has the MiFi cellular router that can connect up to 5 devices at a time. sprint has one (though i hate sprint so much). i'm sure T-Mo has one but i can't be sure.