Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best Low-Profile AV Software

• Please log in to reply

builttospill

builttospill

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I hope this hasn't been answered before, but this is a bit of a unique situation.

I am working in an office overseas and the computers they have are archaic by U.S. standards (well, some of them). I am trying to get an antivirus program set up on one of the machines, but I am in need of something that is light on resources if possible.

I use AVG on my own computer and have been happy with it, but I've heard negative things about resource use. The computer I am dealing with is running Windows 2000 with 256 gb ram (!!!) and a 4 gb hard drive. So, 85 megabytes for AVG itself might be a bit much.

It also has to be user-friendly to the point of being idiot-proof. The people I'm working with are not computer-literate in the slightest, so it cannot be self-directed whatsoever. Teaching them how to delete infections once they're found is about the most I can possibly hope for, and it would be even better if it deleted them automatically.

Anyway, is AVG still a good option, or are there others I should look into that still provide good protection?

Advertisements

builttospill

builttospill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Should mention that I've heard about Avira and Avast and just don't have personal experience with them sufficient to make a call about them or others that might be free AVG alternatives.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
This thread will be better suited in the Applications forum. I'll move it over there now.

SweetTech.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I`ve had all three, avg/avira/avast over the last few years, and at this time, I just switched from Avira free over to Avast free, found here: http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download and am happy with my choice. The computer I have it on has almost the exact same specs as yours, and is also running windows 2000.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I second Mikeme. I recently switched to avast! from AVG Free 9.0. avast! only uses around 10 MB of RAM for active scans, whereas AVG would use anywhere from 65-80 MB. The GUI is simple, intuitive and unobtrusive. The only catch is that you have to provide an email registration; it's free, but a pain in the neck nonetheless.

builttospill

builttospill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Is it super-simple once set up? I am only here short-term and so I can set it up for them and check the scans the first several times (I'm here for 2 months but after that I'm gone and no one will be around)--so I can't have something that is even remotely complicated.

If it's simple, it sounds like that's the way to go. (Thanks for the advice and input so far, by the way).

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Yes, it's very simple. Just follow the installation prompts like any other program. It does need a restart once it's installed, but that's it. :)

Let me know if you need help with anything.

builttospill

builttospill

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks guys, it sounds good. Thanks for the quick help....now I can mark this off my to-do list and get some real work done rather than dealing with their computers on a daily basis. :)

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I hope it works out ok for you :)

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Another good option would be Panda Cloud Antivirus

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
If you are referring to Panda Cloud Antivirus free edition 1.0.01, the system requirements are Windows XP/Windows Vista/Windows 7. Poster is running Windows 2000.

Ibrad2010

Ibrad2010

GeekU Freshman

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Sorry I thought it did work on 2000