Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I just deleted everything from my Start Menu...

• Please log in to reply

captainkangaroo

captainkangaroo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
because I'm a noob. I thought that the Document and Settings folder of 'All Users.WINDOWS' was superfluous so I used East-Tec Eraser to erase it to save me some more disk spcae. Result- all my shortcuts were deleted from my desktop and start menu. I want to get it back somehow since some programs do not work when I click on the application their respective locations in Program Files instead of the Start Menu. Is there anyway possible?

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try a system restore.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Edited by rshaffer61, 01 May 2010 - 07:43 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.east-tec....onsumer/eraser/

East-Tec Eraser 2010 ... permanent erasure of digital information.

captainkangaroo

captainkangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It worked but some files are corrupted. Can I do another system restore without stuffing up anything?

I don't have the full version of the Eat-Tec Eraser. I have a 2005 version that does not have that capability to delete things beyond recovery and trace.

Thanks and cheers.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Pick a date a week or so before and see if that works. If files are corrupt you may have to redo the shortcut or reinstall the program.

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
yaa,... Redo the shortcut is best option.

If it's not work, then it may be possible that some files are corrupted then try last option and reinstall the programs....

captainkangaroo

captainkangaroo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it profoundly. :)