Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.DLL Problems

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Redskinsdb21

Redskinsdb21

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for any help available on this topic up front:

I am running WinXP and on startup I have to boxes that come up and say:

1st box: error loading c:\windows\system32\calc.dll

2nd box: error loading c:\docume~1\user\ntuser.dll

Anyone have an idea of whats causes this andhow to fix it possibly?

Thanks much!

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
assuming you have the win xp Cd just insert it and reboot it should come up with a screen asking you to boot from Cd or hd ,chose Cd then press the R key and it will load the windows recovery console it will then reload your windows choose the non destructive method or you will lose all data since the other version formats the drive
the calc.dll is minor its just the loader for the windows calculator that comes with windows
the other ntuser.dll is whats needed to find and load your user settings

Redskinsdb21

Redskinsdb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Tpneer2,

Thanks for reply

I have windows recovery console installed I believe, even w/o cd. Anytime I reboot it ask if I

1.) want to start windows normally

2.) start windows recovery console

Is this the same recovery console?

Will this affect any of my software programs?

Thanks

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

Redskinsdb21

Redskinsdb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

assuming you have the win xp Cd just insert it and reboot it should come up with a screen asking you to boot from Cd or hd ,chose Cd then press the R key and it will load the windows recovery console it will then reload your windows choose the non destructive method or you will lose all data since the other version formats the drive
the calc.dll is minor its just the loader for the windows calculator that comes with windows
the other ntuser.dll is whats needed to find and load your user settings

TPneer...these problems are on my desktop for which I dont have the CD...but I do have xp CD that came with my laptop, will it work?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
This is a malware issue, its not a Windows related problem. Thus, it can only be fixed in the Malware Removal forum.

Redskins, if you cant get MBAM working, go onto the OTL and GMER steps and post their logs. We need to see those logs to fix your problem.

Redskinsdb21

Redskinsdb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Rorschach112,

I finally got Malware to work, and the .dll files no longer come up when I restart.

I ran

1) TFC

2) ERUNT

3) Malware bytes....after running this, rebooting, the .dll problem no longer exist

4) Should I run through rest of steps such as OTL and GMER since my problems appear fixed to make sure there arent underlying issues?

5) I have a couple of software packages for work, since the .dll problems have existed I get a box when I try to run them that ask me to either 1) License Server System or 2) Specify the license file,
could these problems have cause this? Someone set my software up for me a couple years ago and I am not sure how to fix this.

Sorry for change of subject, thansk in advance

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Yes I would recommend you go and do the other steps, there is probably more malware there

For your license issue, that wouldn't be caused by malware I'd say

Redskinsdb21

Redskinsdb21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
removed log

Edited by Rorschach112, 04 May 2010 - 12:25 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
You need to post the logs in your other topic in the Virus Removal forum

http://www.geekstogo...ms-t275962.html