Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Placing volume control in system tray

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Rshaffer61: Thanks but ...... I find no "Volume" or anything like it in Start/Programs/Accessories?????

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Under Acc there should be another folder named Entertainment.
You should see volume control there.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Rshaffer61: Aha! There's the problem. When I click Accessories\Entertainment I get "Empty Folder".

How do I add it back?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You need to run the instructions Diabillic put in post #10 to get the volume control to appear.
Start the instructions and if there is something you don't understand ask and we will help on each step if needed.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
More on my lost/missing Volume Control from my System tray;

1. Per one of your suggestions, I tried to find my original XP CD disks, but failed to find them.

2. So I reverted to an earlier suggestion: to RUN scf /scannow.
When I did that, my system spent 30 minutes or so checking (my Window files) and then finished (apparently). But I can’t see what (if anything) really happened. Can you please clarify? Thanks, as ever.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The sfc will not produce a log but only ask for the cd if there are files needed to replace or repair.
If you don't have a XP cd then you need to borrow one from someone. It needs to be the same version as you have installed..Home, Media or Pro
The steps in post 10 are the correct instructions for installing the volume control.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
OK. I'll continue to search for my CD; more than likely I'll find it. Thank you all a lot.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and we will monitor this for your response and hopefully good news.