Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WD Passport External Harddrive not recognized

• Please log in to reply

sannie

sannie

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I needed to reformat my laptop and backed up important data on my external WD Passport.

After reformatting the laptop (Windows XP), it doesn't recognize the external harddrive anymore.

When I connect it to the laptop, the "safely remove hardware" icon appears in the system tray.

I can see the device in the device manager, but it won't show up in Windows Explorer.

I tried it on a different computer with the same result.

If I go into disc management, it shows the external hard drive as "disk1", but it doesn't show up in the upper half of the window with a drive letter assigned to it.

Any suggestions?

I was trying to reimport data onto my laptop, but now I can't get to it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Go back into "Disk Management".

Find the correct "ribbon" representing the Passport drive in the lower portion of the disk-management window.

Right-click that ribbon and choose "Change drive letter and paths" (I use Vista so yours may be slightly different).

Choose any spare drive letter and click 'OK'

Your Passport drive should now have a drive letter in 'My Computer'

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 03 May 2010 - 09:41 AM.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Go back into "Disk Management".

Find the correct "ribbon" representing the Passport drive in the lower portion of the disk-management window.

Right-click that ribbon and choose "Change drive letter and paths" (I use Vista so yours may be slightly different).

Choose any spare drive letter and click 'OK'

Your Passport drive should now have a drive letter in 'My Computer'

It doesn't give me this option in the lower portion of the window. It just lists it as "disk 1" and I can look at properties, but not assign a letter to the drive.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Is your current xp installation at the same service-pack level as it was previously (ie SP1, SP2 or SP3)? If not, you may have to update to the latest service pack. A 'vanilla' XP (no service packs) did have a recognition issue with some USB devices which was fixed with the service packs. SP3 was the final service-pack and that's the one you should install if possible - it includes all the updates and fixes which were in SP1 & SP2, plus a load of additional fixes.

So after a fresh xp install, you don't need to add all three service packs, just the final one.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 04 May 2010 - 04:42 AM.

sannie

sannie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Yeah, I have service pack 3... doesn't matter :)

Edited by sannie, 04 May 2010 - 08:22 AM.