Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suspected Malware [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have hp Pavilion dv4000 with Windows XP. I had run a little slow before, but after I went through the malware cleanup guide, it ran fine...great even. About two weeks ago, it must have got infected with something....now every program i try to start up seems to 'bog down' if it loads at all. I was able to run the TFC program, But I try to run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or Norton 360, and it seems to freeze. Anti-Malware gets to about 3600 files scanned before it freezes up. Norton just freezes as soon as I initiate a scan.

Im stuck now on what I should try next...I'd like to avoid a system restore at all costs. Both my wife and I have too many files that have not been backed up yet. (I do have a portable hard drive, which does have some files backed up...but theres still alot that has not been).

Thanks in advance for any help offered...Im grateful u guys are here :)

Advertisements

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

*We apologize for the delay. Forum has been busy.

*It is important not to make any further changes or run any other tools/updates unless instructed to. This may hinder the cleaning process of your machine.

*You must reply within 5 days otherwise this topic will be closed.

+++++++++++++++++++++

1. Please download RKill by Grinler.

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

• Save it to your desktop.
  • Close/disable your anti virus program so they do not interfere with RKill. (Tutorials on how to disable your anti virus program can be found HERE.)
  • Double click the RKILL icon to start the program. (For Windows VISTA, right click the icon and run as administrator)
  • A window will appear and close automatically once completed. This indicates a successful run.
  • Do not reboot your computer and continue with step 2.
  • Post the rkill log when you reply. (C:\rkill.log)

Note:

• Try running RKill using Link 1, if it does not run, download Link 2 and delete Link 1 then try running it again.
  • If you still can't run RKill, repeat the same steps using Link 3 and 4. Please tell me if all the link does not work.

2. Please run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Go to update tab and download all updates and then perform a full scan.
  • The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart.(See Extra Note)
  • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.
Extra Note:
If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts, click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process, if asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
What should I do if I cant open Norton 360 in order to disable it?

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Did you try this...

NORTON 360

* Right-click the Norton 360 icon in the system tray and select Open Tasks and
Settings Window.
* On the right side, under Settings, click on Change advanced settings.
* Next, click on the Virus & Spyware Protection Settings.
* Uncheck Turn on Auto-Protect and select Apply.
* You will be asked to select a time for Norton to reactivate.
* Choose Until I turn it back on.
* You can re-enable after the malware has been removed from your machine.

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Topic starter requested to reopened this topic.

Please reply with the current status of your PC. The description of the problem/s and actions taken, if any.

~Semp

lawnguybri

lawnguybri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Thanks sempai. The system tray...lower right corner, right? I know at some point there was a norton icon there, but its not there anymore. Every time I try to open Norton via the desktop icon, a window opens up (which takes about five minutes to open) saying that Norton is unable to open and I should contact them to diagnose. Should i try to run the above programs (RKill)?

Edited by lawnguybri, 15 May 2010 - 12:10 PM.

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Hi,

Yes please, run RKill followed by MBAM. Follow the instructions on my previous post on how to run them. Thanks.

sempai

sempai

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 785 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.