Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

D:/ not accesable

• Please log in to reply

ajynxter

ajynxter

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop. I had an error message about my hard drive. I cant quite remember what it read but it was something about Smart unit failure on hard disk 4. My friend suggested me get a new hard drive. I recently purchased the hard drive. I reinstalled windows xp. I installed all of the driver and updated the os to win xp sp3. I used automatic updates to updated win xp. Now the problem is I cant install the sounds driver and also my dvd drive is not accesible. The sound driver states something a bout a windows logo not being verified. I talked to Toshiba, they told me to install anyways. Because the driver is made specifically for my laptop there shouldnt be a problem. But when installing the driver i get a blue screen that saids windows had to shut down to prevent damage to my computer. it also says something about the driver that im intalling is causing the issue. Ive looked for some solutions online but i have not come across a solution. i thank you in advance

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If you are sure the error message refers to the sound driver and not some other driver, there's nothing you can do as most computers from the big brand-name manufacturers require custom-made drivers which are available only from them.

As for your DVD drive - afraid I haven't a clue if it's a fresh Windows install.
It sometimes can happen if you install then uninstall cd-writing software as it can leave redundant entries in the Registry which leave the drive inaccessible, but with a fresh windows install that can't be the reason in your case.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
What is the model number of your Toshiba Satellite Laptop?