Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible hardware issue/ OS issue

• Please log in to reply

dch1314

dch1314

• PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I am posting here to get some possible feedback about my computer. I thought I possible had a virus that was causing my error but after jwang01 helped me out with fixing that, he directed me here stating my problem may be due to hardware or OS issue.

Here is the thread he referred me from: http://www.geekstogo...98#entry1822398

The problem is, sometimes when visiting sites such as Worldstarhiphop.com, Youtube, Megavideo, etc my computer usage shoots up to 100% and cause a bit of a freeze to my computer.

I am wondering what is the cause to this and how can I fix it. Thanks

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Whilst running one of these activate Task Manager by Ctrl Alt Del and note which process is using the CPU resources by the high percentage. Please include that when you post back if there is still a problem.
Also with a browser open, press Crtl Shift Delete and clean your history and cookie cache.
With the latter suggestion, cleaning ALL is the best but it will of course take out any passwords for any sites that you have saved, so you may wish to uncheck that box.
If the problem still exists after these steps then do this
http://support.micro....com/kb/310353/
Please then post back with details of the process using the CPU and if the problem was solved with the clean boot.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 May 2010 - 07:42 AM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please download Process Explorer from my signature and paste a screenshot in your next post.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
The cpu usage only does it sometimes. The times it does happen is when I am on video sites such as the ones I listed. The program doing the bulk of the usage is majority of the time Firefox (or Browser I am using at the time).

I haven't erased my history, etc in a LONG time does that play into taking up usage? I like to have the sites I frequent often just in the pull down of my browser but if I need to I can delete them

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I can only repeat my advice. Empty your browsing history and cookies.

If you have the sites listed as favourites it will not delete them.

dch1314

dch1314

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
I have done so. However, right after doing so I visited Worldstarhiphop.com while also using IE and while viewing video the cpu usage went to 100% (it goes down sometimes but peaks at 100% most of time). Does IE & Firefox clash which is whats causing the problem or is it a deeper issue?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Please follow my instructions and post a screenshot while you are experiencing the problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this and then if it solves the problem, re-enable them one at a time.
http://news.cnet.com...0081925-68.html