Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freeze up

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I didn't get to see the results of Checkdisk /r, after the check was finished, I could open and minimise a blank web page as well as your page and Incredimail also (like before)and then the pages stopped responding, even asked if I wanted to send an error report to MS, I have lost count that I have sent off.

I guess there is not much more that can be tried!!

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
After my last post to you,I shut down my computer as I am want to do around lunch time and I normaly reboot in the evening, this I tried and the computer is dead, the power pack is the only thing running.

Also, I don't have a back up disk, all I have is the Windows XP disc that came with the computer.

any advice will be helpful

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting any post screens when you turn the system on?

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
No screens whatsoever, the power pack runs and I can open and close the DVD drawer,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds to me like a failed video adapter or motherboard. Any post beeps at all?

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
no beeps, I will take the computer into the shop this morning, thanks again

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No beeps the prognosis is not good at this point. It sounds like a failed motherboard at this point.
When a system starts the first thing it does it check bios for settings and loads those settings. It then checks that the appropriate components like keyboard, mouse and video are attached. If not a beep code will sound. Yours is not doing that at this time.

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
G'day
would you like me to let you know what happened to the computer when I get this back next week?.

Regards

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please let me know as we are always interested in the outcome good or bad.

Advertisements

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
OK, I will let you know towards the end of next week

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :) :) :)

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
G'day Sari:

Sorry for the delay, finally got the desktop back yesterday.

apparently all that was done was checkdisk cleanups, supposedly removed the CPU cooling fan and heatsink and cleaned the heat transfer compound off (reckoned it was not liquid) and applied fresh transfer compound, apart from that, very little else to report, also checked software, wanted me to uninstall Window Washer which I have had on the computer for a few years now.

I use Incredimail as my mail program and since upgrading to IE8, this is where the conflict has come from, I firmly believe this, I say this, because I had to use my laptop while the desktop was being serviced, I downloaded Incredimail 2 free version and my web pages have started to "not respond", as soon as I can get all of the required messages across, I will uninstall this from both computers.

Best regards

Fred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and if I am reading everything correctly the system still is not responding correctly?

hotfoot

hotfoot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Sari, you are right, last night I was trying to set up Windows mail and had Incredimail open also, setting up accounts ect and at the end when time to close everything, computer not responding again, after I uninstall Incredimail, I just hope this will fix the problem.

So now I have 2 computers that do not respond to close commands, I will tackle the laptop first, I don't have a lot of e-mails to transfer and after I uninstall Incredimail, I guess I will find out if that mail program is the culpret.

I will keep you updated if you want.

Cheers

Fred