Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows will not run

• Please log in to reply

slw

slw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
1. tried to download windows xp home sp2. caused problems, so took it off.
2. put in recovery disk and was half way through when asked to put in disk with these numbers on it: ECD544P90X. I do not have this disk, nor does the company I bought the computer from.
3. was at computer depott to buy new windows complete not start up or recovery. The guy helping me told me he used to work for Microsoft, and to go home and go into my bios and change the floppy from master? to one of the cd-roms.
4. did this, next thing I know I have a black screen. Tried recovery again, no luck. I do not even get a white curser. the system will turn on, the green and red light stay on can put in any disk and it will act like it is going to work but dosen't. Have to turn computer off at the wall plug in.
5. Went and bought an new Western Digital hard drive and windows. Put in the hard drive with their specifications, and their disk, nothing. Tried the windows disk, still nothing. I mean this is a dead black screen. The monitor will come on it is also black, the key board will at first light up, then nothing, same with mouse.
I am not good at loading or any of that Dos stuff, but I am mecanicaly inclined, putting in stuff is pretty straight forward for me. But forget anything else. I need explicit step by step detailed information to fix if any one of you can help me. I read in Microsoft forum where this recovery and same number came up for someone but no one answered their question, so that was of no help. I am handycaped and my computer is my only way out. If you can help me in any way I will do as you suggest. Please make it in as easy layman terms as possible. I was reading some of the post here and it was all greek to me. I am sorry so dumb. Please help if you can. Thank you!

Advertisements

wa284sj

wa284sj

• Pip
  • 5 posts
sounds like the battery on the motherboard has gone. (They usually last about 3 years).

Regards, Stuart

PS Looks like a watch battery.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, first off, the message about the ecd544p90x means that windows is asking for your 3com network card driver.
I'm not sure if you are still getting that message coming up now as you said you just get a blank screen at the moment but if you do come across it again, you should be able to do one of the following :
1. Insert the 3com driver disc & direct windows to it
2. If you're doing a restore over the old install of XP, then direct it to windows\system32\drivers folder
3. Disable the network card in the bios (if its integrated in motherboard) or remove it compltely if it's PCI

Regarding the current problem - do you get anything coming up on screen now at all when you first power the system on? ie bios post test etc

Also, can you tell me whether the new drive is serial ata or standard IDE?