Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS issues, C drive, ? No drag/drop/copy

• Please log in to reply

chocfudge

chocfudge

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
Issues with my OS I suspect. Began when IE would not open - would just blink. Could not download any windows fixes. Deleted IE and downloaded Firefox / CoralIE tab in SAFE mode. Next could not run Norton360v4 - thought I would back up and then look at options of poss reformatting or just upgrading.Uninstalled (by NOrton with tools) and reinstalled Norton support suggest OS problem. Ran malware scan found critical issue - resolved and speed increased. My C drive is maxed out - although no matter what I delete the available space stays the same (2.57gb of 20gb)- this could be the issue? Trying to copy photos files and other stuff to enable me to upgrade or buy new - unable to drag and drop or copy.

Firefox works just fine (I'm even liking it), Outlook Express works well, doc files and pic files all open, however any pic files in Kodak Easyshare software come up with a msg that the files (on the C drive) do not exist.
What can I do at this low point? Can I delete more from C drive to enable system better? I don't know where to start. Any suggestions gratefully received. thanks :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

chocfudge

chocfudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks rshaffer61,

I have done as you said.
TFC and reboot and also defragged. Issues are still the same :)

I had downloaded Smart defrag and used this a few days ago as my system defrag was not working at all - will not analyze or defrag. However, I downloaded the defrag you suggested and used this today.Because I have just recently defragged, there is little change in speed today. Speed is actually OK just the issues persist.

I have saved the report form today's defrag if this is of any use.

Grateful for any further suggestions - thanx

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Ran malware scan found critical issue - resolved and speed increased

You may want to visit the Malware forum to make sure all of that is gone.

Next, I suggest you download WinDirStat and post a screenshot so we can see whats taking up your disk space.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

although no matter what I delete the available space stays the same (2.57gb of 20gb)- this could be the issue?

This is most likely causing the error as the OS needs 15 pervent of the drive free to operate normally. Defrag needs 10 percent to defrag properly.
Right now you have just over 10 percent free and with that your MFT is probably being affected.
You need to uninstall programs and data that is not needed to free up space.

chocfudge

chocfudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks all,

I have completed the malware steps, yet to complete step 4 rootkit detection.
Malware found issues which have been resolved, one of which was the malware program I had downloaded (duh!!)
So I am really grateful for your help.
I have run WinDirStat and taken a closer look at C drive, have cleared up to 4.4gb (of 19.53gb according to My computer) and will look further tomorrow. WinDirStat says Doc/Settings 4.4gb, Program Files 2.6gb, Windows 5.1gb, Free space 4.4gb, <files> 1.4gb, config.msi 2.4mb. It lists the size of the C drive as 18gb

This may sound ridiculous but how do I take a screen shot ?

Builtin defrag still doesn't work (not that it matters as downloaded other defrag program) When I click on Disk Management an error msg pops up "No such interface supported."
Still no drag and drop, unable to "copy this file" "move this file" or send to another drive.

I'll push on tomoz with the suggested steps and post again if issues persist.

Thx again !!! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since you did locate a infection then i suggest you follow through with the malware forum and start a new topic there with your logs. This will allow the malware techs to look deeper and see if anything is hidden that hasn't been found. Once done with that and if problem is still happening return here after the malware tech declares your system healthy and we will continue to assist here.
To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try a drastic move here and see if it is the OS problem we are dealing with.
Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

chocfudge

chocfudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for your msg.

I have attempted to follow your instructions, however this is what happens after I press a key in response to "press any key to boot from CD"

A screen appears: Gigabyte Xpress Recovery V1.0.
5 options are listed on the screen:

1. Execute backup utility
2. Execute restore utility
3. Remove Backup Image
4. Set password
5 Exit & restart

I do not get a "welcome to setup" screen where I can just press Enter.

Should I continue?

Thanks for your assistance

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the bios is not set to boot to cdrom first.
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts I gave in the last post to do the parallel Installation.

chocfudge

chocfudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,
my mistake - Gigabyte Motherboard / Utilities CD rom in drive (duh)

Removed and put in XP CD rom
Rebooted but don't get screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD"

Only get a screen that says:

Please select the operating system to start:
Microsoft Windows Recovery Console
Microsoft windows XP Pro

So, rebooted and went into Bios/Cmos to check settings which are as follows:

Cmos setup utility
Advanced Bios feature

First boot device [CD Rom]
Second boot device [HDD-0]
third boot device [disabled]
Password check [setup]

Rebooted and still goes to the screen to choose MS Win Recovery Console or MS Win XP Pro

I would think the bios is set up as you described - can you pls confirm this ?
Am I doing something wrong?

Thx

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is setup correctly and I think what you want to choose is the MS Win XP Pro.
That should take you to the setup part. From there follow the steps for the parallel installation.