Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comcast Internet Dropping

• Please log in to reply

GoingNuts

GoingNuts

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok bare with me, this is quite long but I don't know what else to do. I have had 7 technicians and 2 suervisors from Comcast here trying to find out what is wrong with my internet connection. I have 3 computers: desktop that is hard wired into the Netgear router, and 2 laptops that are wireless. I had the technicians re-wire the whole building, hopeful that would work because there is another person in the building that is having the same problems as I am, and his computer is hard lined into his router, and his router is a Belkin. The re-wiring obviously hasn't worked, I have checked the settings and what not on my laptop and the drivers are working perfectly. My husbands laptop USE to do this too until Comcast came out and re-wired, now he is not having the problems that I am still having. Actually believe it or not, the internet dropped while I was typing this. Since 145 this morning, the internet has dropped 16 times, and it's 710am right now. Any ideas, let me know, I am not sure what to do at this point.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like a either a faulty wire from router to your system or a faulty nic adapter in your system. Since other systems there are not having the problem then I would single out your system.
If others are having the same problem and not just in your home then it sounds like comcast may be experiencing some line noise or signal loss.
When your system loses connection do the other systems stay connected?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I've had the same problem with Comcast before, erm well I still do. Drops randomly can't get on the internet at all. I've given up trying to talk to them since they state my lines are "perfect" and it is internal/configuration issue on your end and it is not us.

Anyways when your internet drops how long is it out for? And does the internet light on your modem go out? If not and the modem looks like it does when it is connected then it is an internal issue with Comcast. It can be a box on the street, a sub-station, or their primary station for internet services.

Next time it goes out try and go to this web url (bookmark it now so you have it). Try this site http://208.69.38.170/ it is for opendns status page. If it loads when your internet is not working then it is because of the DNS servers that Comcast operates are faulty. If it doesn't load and your modem is still synced (ie connected with them) then there is damage/short in the line from your location to theirs.

When I first started experiencing this issue I tried opendns, but it was painfully slow for me. I ended creating a DNS server that pulls from multiple DNS servers. And I haven't had the issue, I've also setup redundancy were if the Domain I am searching for isn't on my local servers it tries Other dns servers for the information with an ultimate fall back to comcast dns servers. It worked for me for about 2months then the issue came back. And Comcast just don't care. If another Highspeed Internet Provider is in your area I suggest you to switch, I know I will soon as Fiber Optic comes in from one of the local ISP that is putting it in.