Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folders open slow

• Please log in to reply

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The only thing uner ATA/ATAPI conytollers is NVidia nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller. The "Let BIOS Mode Select" box is checked on primary and secondary channels. In the shaded box it says 3 different types of FMA, 1 for each device, none of which is hard drives. This PC is using RAID 0, 2 160G's striped if makes a difference.

Advertisements

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Sorry, just read my last post. Meant 3 diffrent types of DMA, not FMA.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you want is DMA if available.

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The 3 devices are CDROM's, not hard drives. Do you want me to change those? The hard drives are listed under the Serial ATA Controller

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then they probably will not be affected.
If you check and dma is available then yes change them to that.
You do have a XP installation disk I take it?

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yes I do have the install disk. I was going to repair the install but because of the RAID stripe it is asking for the 3rd party software to be installed because it doesn't see the drives. I am fearful that the drives will be wiped clean if I do that. The repair I was going to use was the one that comes up when you say to install and it finds the previous install. Not the Recovery option. I also thought about ghosting the striped drives onto 1 and then doing the repair, would have gotten rid of the RAID at that point. Just trying to fix without having to wipe clean.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ahh you have a raid setup. Now that is a problem as I never have used raid in the 15 years I have been doing this. I know there are some techs who are good at it.
I will see if i can grab one to join us.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the agreement at this point is doing a repair on a Raid system is full of stress and most likely would not be successful in the end.
With that the only way i see this working now is to backup the important data and start over.

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
By start over you mean wipe clean and reload I assume?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and that is why I mentioned to backup all you important data as that can't be replaced. Programs can be reloaded once you are setup.

Advertisements

MaineDan

MaineDan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Was afraid of that but I understand. I think I will do away with the Striped RAID on this go around so I don't run into this again. Thanks for the assistance. Appreciate it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another word of advice since you are doing away with striped. When you save data try saving it to one of the other drives and that way if main drive does ever go down your data will be safe. Another suggestion is doing backups of your data files every week or so to have a second set also. Never to careful when it comes to your data. :) :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
In theory the repair install should fix things fine, however in practise I've rarely seen it work properly. I will not ever recommend RAID 0 at all. I will only recommend RAID if you have the budget to get proper server-grade hardware (hard drives and controller) and it is not cheap.

And of course, backups are a must, regardless of RAID or not. RAID is not backups.

Regards

Troy