Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Got a virus, am unable to follow the removal steps.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Eve Saunders

Eve Saunders

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Okay, I dont know anything about computers and I got this virus on my computer, and I don't remember the name but it basically wouldn't let me open up any programs or the internet, and it would keep on sending me to this website, antiviruspower, to download it.

I'm trying to follow the Malware removal steps but it won't let me download any of them!
It says it says "application cannot be executed. the file ___ is infected.
do you want to activate your antivirus software?"
(if you say yes it takes you to the 'antiviruspower' website...)
help!!!
:/

Edited by Eve Saunders, 06 May 2010 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I suggest to take a trip to the Malware forum by click the link in my signature to get a clean bill of health.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the
START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own.
If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum.
If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Eve Saunders

Eve Saunders

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
How will this help me get my internet back though??

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
You need to follow rshaffer61's instructions. There are likely remnants of the virus on your computer that are giving you problems. Look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to this thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Eve Saunders

Eve Saunders

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ohh my god. I downloaded the temp file cleaner (TFC) in the first step and rebooted my computer, and the virus is back! I can't go onto anything and it wont let me install/open the malwarebytes program...

it says "application cannot be executed. the file ___ is infected.
do you want to activate your antivirus software?"
(if you say yes it takes you to the antiviruspower website...)

Edited by Eve Saunders, 06 May 2010 - 07:16 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Skip malwarebytes and continue on. If you can't run any of the programs note it in your first post in the malware forum along with any logs you did manage to get. You definitely have something hiding since it continues to reactivate.
We can't do anything more till the malware techs can get you healthy again.

Eve Saunders

Eve Saunders

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It wont let me download any of those programs! I'm trying to follow the steps but I can't download anything, it keeps on giving me that message! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That put that in your first post in your malware topic in that forum. The techs there will be able to help you since that is what they are trained specifically for.