Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply

tigger3370

tigger3370

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi. I have HP Pavilion dv2000 (RD140AV) running a 64 bit verision of Windows Vista. Twice today, I've come back to my computer and found that it had rebooted. I have no idea why it rebooted and no idea where to begin to figure out why. I have had other problems recently, such as, Internet Explorer and Firefox failing and having to close, Quicktime being closed down by Windows due to data execution protection (DEP), and a couple of blue screen deaths last week (but they had stopped, as far as I knew). I tried running the blue screen view, but nothing showed up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

P.S. I ran a virus check a couple of days with one hit on a possible Trojan (most likely a false positive) and tried running another one today, but it rebooted in the middle of the scan (using Superanitspyware, Malwarebytes, and AVG).

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Are all of the fan blades, vents and heat sink fins clean ... inside the laptop? Here are some example of what I often find when I run across a laptop that's shutting down or rebooting due to overheating:

Posted Image

Oh, and don't use a laptop on a soft surface like this:

Posted Image

Since the fans/vents are on the bottom/sides it has no way to get rid of the heat fast enough to keep it from either shutting down or starting a fire.

Edited by SpywareDr, 09 May 2010 - 09:38 AM.

tigger3370

tigger3370

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Yes. I had to replace the fan six months ago and it wasn't really even dirty. I also use the computer on a counter with adequate ventilation. I just checked the temperatures of all the processors using siw.exe. The cores for the AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile TL-52 ranged from a min of 49C to a max of 60C with and average of 55C. How does that compare?