Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with atx psu

• Please log in to reply

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
I've just got a cheap advent pc but it wont turn on the leads are all connected but still nothing.
I've plugged in a fan and tried jumping it by connecting pins 14 and 15 on the motherboard connecter but again still no power.
is there any other way i can test to see if its the psu and not the power button itself thats broken.
forgot to mention its 24 pin connector and 14 is the green and 15 is black tried this with other black wires as they're earth but still no power I'm thinking the psu is totaly Kaput, but I want to be sure before ordering a new one

Edited by Cl455icCh4o5, 08 May 2010 - 12:43 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
See the attached link for your type of mainboard connector, what you need to do is,
1: disconnect the psu from each component
2: plug in & switch on the psu
3: use a paperclip to bridge the green & black connections NOs 13 & 14 for 20 pin & 15 & 16 for 24 pin
http://www.smpspower...rs-pinouts.html
Please take care while doing the above & let us know how it goes

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
tried that but no power at all think I'll just get a new one

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Does sound as if its dead, have you checked the fuse or tried another power lead,
its not really recommended to open a psu but some have an internal fuse which can
be replaced but others are soldered in line

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
its not the fuse in the lead already checked that one didn't realise that it had an internal one, I'll check that now let you know how it goes

Cl455icCh4o5

Cl455icCh4o5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
located the fuse but its in a awkward space and its soldered gonna have to snip it and re attach it oh the joy

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would just replace the PSU. Generally anything internal to the PSU is not user replaceable.