Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help me!

• Please log in to reply

darthvader

darthvader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently bought a soyo p4vtp mobo, and I had a p4 2.66 ghz 512 kb L2 cache 478 500fsb p4 processor. I also recently recieved a p4 478 2.8 ghz 1mb L2 cach 800fsb processor. When I boot up the computer it starts fine with the old one, but the new one does not get any beeps or anything on the screen, any ideas what the problem could be?
Thanks,
Lord Vader

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
here is a link to the website for that board. under FAQ's I saw a reference to that board not supporting intel prescott series CPU's. so if the second processor is a prescott chip, thats the problem...
theres also links there to the manual, which will have settings, etc. for you to check out and tweak if needed.

anoobrew

anoobrew

• PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
audioboy is right......ur mobo cant support the CPU

i recommend buying a new one at tigerdirect.com

darthvader

darthvader

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you both for your help. In the manual that cam with the mobo it said that it took prescotts. This really makes me angry. I should have sensed it, my powers are growing weak......

Congo

Congo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Here is a little hint. Don't buy "discontinued" mainboards.

The mainboard is the most important component in your system, everything else is dependent on it.

Take some extra time and research your choice VERY carefully. Spending a little extra now on a decent mainboard/chipset will probably save you big bucks in the long term.

As long as you are aware that your buying into older technology with that socket 478 CPU, maybe you should have bought this one, as it represents one of the better chipsets for that socket/cpu combo.

http://www.soyousa.c...desc.php?id=298

The I865 Intel chipset is a solid performer, not sure about this particular Soyo board though.