Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Additional Monitor on Dell Inspiron 1200

• Please log in to reply

jlinno

jlinno

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
After installing an additional 256MB of RAM and restarting the computer, my secondary monitor (TV) does not operate properly (No Input Signal).

When I select "Extend my Windows desktop to this Monitor", all I get is the desktop background with no Icons.

Previously I had an Icon in the tray which gave me options to select the output device(s) for this driver but it has disappeared.

I've gone through all the malware/virus removal steps and all the steps to try and reinstall the driver with no results.

When I do finally reinstall the driver I sometimes get an error code 10 message.

Any Ideas??

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
If there is "(No Input Signal)" how is it possible that it's displaying the "desktop background"?

Can you drag an icon over to the other monitor? If so, the monitor is working.

jlinno

jlinno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Only when I select "Extend my Windows desktop to this Monitor", for display 2. When not checked, I get the "No Input Signal" message.

I tried uninstalling the driver mentioned, then redownload and reinstall the driver, then after the reinstall I get a message the installation was successfull but the hardware may not work code 10.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Only when I select "Extend my Windows desktop to this Monitor", for display 2. When not checked, I get the "No Input Signal" message.

Which is correct, because when it's unchecked, the computer stops sending a video signal over to the second monitor ... which then causes the second monitor to pop up the 'no signal' message you're seeing.

Edited by SpywareDr, 09 May 2010 - 09:57 AM.

jlinno

jlinno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
That I understand, but why only the background of the desktop and not any of the shortcut icons?

Also, previously I had an Icon in the tray which gave me options to select the output device(s) for this driver but it has disappeared and I can't get it back.

I could output to the notebook, the notebook and the monitor, or the monitor and the notebook without the extend option checked, in fact, the extend option had to be unchecked.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

That I understand, but why only the background of the desktop and not any of the shortcut icons?

Because once you activate that second monitor, you have to then drag whatever icons you like over onto it.

Also, previously I had an Icon in the tray which gave me options to select the output device(s) for this driver but it has disappeared and I can't get it back.

You might try reinstalling the video driver from Dell:
http://support.dell....anConsent=False

I could output to the notebook, the notebook and the monitor, or the monitor and the notebook without the extend option checked, in fact, the extend option had to be unchecked.

That sounds like an issue with the [fn]+[whatever_other_blue_key_that_toggles_between_the_three_different_monitor_settings].

jlinno

jlinno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I tried reinstalling the driver from Dell but during installation it told me that the driver is unsigned and asked if I wished to continue. I replied yes then later in the installation it told me the driver was not compatable with my computer and halted the installation. And yes, I let Dell tell me which driver was compatable prior to the download.

The feature I'm really looking for is "Dual" monitors which mimics the notebook monitor on the secondary monitor. The original driver which came installed on the computer did this with no additional action other than connecting the other monitor and all was fine until in an automatic update it installed an "updated" driver which didn't work.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
On my laptop I have to uncheck the "Extend my Windows desktop to this Monitor", then press [fn]+[F4] two or three times to get it to toggle to having the same identical Windows Desktop show up on both screens.

Edited by SpywareDr, 09 May 2010 - 02:35 PM.

jlinno

jlinno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Your the greatest!!!

On mine is [fn] + F9. Nowhere have I've seen documentation from Dell or Intel informing what functions do what.

Also, how do I close out this dialoge and set it as solved to others may benefit from my ignorance. I've been in the mainframe arena for over 40 years but dealing with these "little" one's, I'm wet behind the ears.

Again, thank you so much!!!

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Your the greatest!!!

On mine is [fn] + F9. Nowhere have I've seen documentation from Dell or Intel informing what functions do what.

Know what you mean. I guess they assume that everyone on the planet will instantly know what their little blue icons on each of the function keys mean. :)

Also, how do I close out this dialoge and set it as solved to others may benefit from my ignorance. I've been in the mainframe arena for over 40 years but dealing with these "little" one's, I'm wet behind the ears.

Not sure how you do it on this forum yet. (Haven't been here long). If you can edit the Title of this thread, prepend the string "[Resolved] "?

Again, thank you so much!!!

You're more than welcome. :)