Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restoring Vista without the CD

• Please log in to reply

dani81693

dani81693

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So I'm pretty desperate here. My dad passed away and I inherited his computer but it's all junked up and slow. I have no clue where we put the restore disk after we bought it but I would like to get it back to the way it was when we first brought it home. Is there any way to do this without the CD? I have Windows Vista Home Premium. It's an eMachines/Gateway. I would be greatful for the help! Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's more likely there was no CD.
Usually on these machines you keep pressing F8 until the menu comes up, select "Repair My Computer" and from there you can restore the system to factory default.
Note that this will wipe the machine so if your late father had pictures on there, you may want to back them up before you wipe the machine.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
I may be wrong, but I believe, that it would be F11 key in case of eMachines.

Edited by Broni, 09 May 2010 - 02:50 PM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
eMachines Recovery Media Purchase Program
https://secure.tx.ac...brand=emachines

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Depending on how old it is, it may have a recovery partition. Ive had a few old Gateways and eMachines that use a restore program called PC Angel. Only problem is that the only way to use it is to set the recovery partition as active.

Post a screenshot of Disk Management.

dani81693

dani81693

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well it worked. My system is restored and running fine so far. Thank you so much for the feed back. My physical memory usage is at around 73% after I installed my avg and fulltilt. Is this normal?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What actually did work, if we may?

dani81693

dani81693

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
My computer went back to square one like when we brought it home. No previously installed prgrams, files or folders. My CPU usage was high for a while but windows was constantly downloading and installing updates for the entire first day. I think this is what caused this since everything is running fine now. Speedy as can be. Thanks for everyones help!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're welcome :)