Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection no internet access?

• Please log in to reply

sly_2314

sly_2314

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I have an hp laptop(g60 series) running windows 7 and I have major problems with my internet connection. It started two weeks ago, and I called my internet service provider which directed me to the HP line, but they didn't help at all. Finally my sister played around with the plugs(the wireless/router) and it worked for a day. But it doesn't work anymore..? I don't know what the problem is. I turned off the router/wireless box and waited then switched it back on, I also plug things and out. And I tried plugging the cord into my laptop but I can't get the internet there either...?

When I called HP they said I probably have a virus, and something was wrong with my IP address. But I ran scans and my computer is running normally. I also have norton anti virus. I know i'm rambling, but I really need help. I already called/turned it off and on...everything that's suppose to help it. Should I take it into geeksquad? Idk, what to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Hi Sly_2314, Welcome to GeeksToGo.

Someone should be in shortly to help you but I'll get the ball rolling on seeing what the issue is.

On you laptop click on the start orb then click on the Search programs and files, Type in cmd and press enter. The command prompt should open in a window with a black background and white text. At the prompt type ipconfig /all and press enter. Copy and paste the details so I can have a look, and see if your actually getting a correct IP Address from your router.

Jon

sly_2314

sly_2314

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi Sly_2314, Welcome to GeeksToGo.

Someone should be in shortly to help you but I'll get the ball rolling on seeing what the issue is.

On you laptop click on the start orb then click on the Search programs and files, Type in cmd and press enter. The command prompt should open in a window with a black background and white text. At the prompt type ipconfig /all and press enter. Copy and paste the details so I can have a look, and see if your actually getting a correct IP Address from your router.

Jon

I can't copy and paste it since I don't have internet access.
But when I tried that I got a long list of "media disconnected", if that helps at all.
Sorry

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Just to confirm you get Media Disconnected when you plug in a Ethernet cord as well? Also when you plug in the cord do any lights light up on the device and your laptop to indicate a connection is present?

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello,
We just can't judge it's virus issue.
I have couple of questions for you.
First Did you tried connecting to modem (isp) directly using a cable and checked? if its not working you need to check with isp.

If yes:
what is wireless router (make and model number)?
Are you able to see any other wireless network?

pcs365_11

pcs365_11

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello,
We just can't judge it's virus issue.
I have couple of questions for you.
First Did you tried connecting to modem (isp) directly using a cable and checked? if its not working you need to check with isp.

If yes:
what is wireless router (make and model number)?
Are you able to see any other wireless network?