Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

drive letter problem preventing startup

• Please log in to reply

etiks

etiks

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all, I recently changed my G: drive letter to D: and restored a disk image to that drive. The disk image is of an XP installation from my previous hard drive, which was D:, therefore the letter change.

I manually added the installation to boot.ini, but it won't boot, screen goes black with a cursor after a while and that's it. CTRL+ALT+DELETE does nothing.

I went into recovery console and did a bootcfg /rebuild, and it found two Windows installations, C: and G:, but adding those didn't help.

So I think when I'm booting the computer (not Windows) might be assigning drive letter G: instead of D: to the partition and that's why it won't boot.

I think I need to move additional hard drives, delete partitions until I can successfully boot into it, and that ought to lock that letter to that partition and I can add drives, partitions without affecting it.

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas or can shed light on the whole business of assigning drive letters before Windows has booted? When I get a chance I'll try my idea and see if that works and post back.

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
What did you use to image your D: drive?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Unless I am wrong I think you need to put the disk image you have to the same Drive letter it was taken from (if C: then C: if D: thrn D:) and if I understand well you say the image was taken from a D: drive so you should have copied it to the d:partition.

Also are your two XP installation on the same HDD (2 different partition but same HDD) or on two different HDD.

If you have 2 or more OS installation you should also have the option (menu after POST) to choose which (OS, Vista, Linux, 2000 or 2 XP ect) to boot from.

etiks

etiks

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
diabillic - I used Acronis True Image to image my drive.

Alzeimer - You are right about the drive letters, and that is what I did, took an image of D: drive and restored it to D: drive. I have just one hard drive with two OS's, and I ran a bootcfg /rebuild so I can choose either one at startup.

The problem I think is that with two OS's on a machine, they may give different letters to hard drives, for example partition 2 may be D: when I boot to my first OS, and it may be E: when I boot to my second OS:

So I have a working OS on C: drive, and I restored my image to D: drive, but it won't boot because (I think), the system is assigning it a different letter (not D:) when it boots. I could be wrong, but that seems like what is happening as when I went in to recovery console it told me it was actually the G: drive. That was when I had several other drives attached, which I have now removed, but still have the problem. I'm gonna post on an Acronis True Image forum and see if they know what's going on.

Cheers,
etiks

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
If its Acronis, you can choose what drive to push the image out to. Im a very avid advocate for Acronis as I use it myself and it works great every time I use it.

Also, did you strip out the permissions off the files? Sometimes that causes issues when you restore.