Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB PORTS DO NOT WORK

• Please log in to reply

alexander255110

alexander255110

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
So I recently upgraded my computer from XP to 7 and then for a while, everything was fine and worked perfectly. But a couple days later the upgrade, the USB ports on my computer do not work.
I went to find drivers but the computer's manufacturer only had drivers for XP and VISTA.
HELP please
All my mouse, external HD, Memory card readers do not work..
The specifications and other stuff of my computer is here : http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c00572530
Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Use a PS/2 mouse and see what device manager is reporting. Sounds like the chipset drivers need to be updated.

Or possibly a sign the motherboard is dying.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
What's a PS/2 mouse?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
THIS IS A PS/2 MOUSE

It doesn't use USB to connect.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Okay, so I finally found a PS/2 mouse next to one of my old(er) computers and it works..
I guess its the USB ports problem? But ALL the USB ports do not work (i have 4 at the back of the computer and 3 in the front) and i have a memory card reader thats built in that does not work either.

Thanks for all your help

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
I tried to plug in my external HD and it still doesn't work along with my printers all that.. :)
Help please!

Thanks

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The link you gave me says the computer uses the ATI Radeon Xpress 200 chipset... so search for drivers for that.

Otherwise you could try a system restore back to the date before the USB ports disappeared?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove any devices attached to the USB ports.

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties. Click on the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager button. Expand (click +) the USB section at the bottom of the list. Locate the USB Root Hubs (there will likely be more than one), right click on each Root Hub and choose Uninstall...accept the change. Do this for each of the Root Hubs listed.

Reboot the machine and let Windows reinstall them when it loads. When they finish installing...reboot again. Then try plugging in a device and see if it's detected.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Okay thanks! so I uninstalled the drivers for the USB and let it reinstall after reboot, but it still doesn't work. And I also tried to find drivers for Windows 7 64bit but there isn't a driver for my ATI Radeon Xpress 200 :)

What do you think I should do now?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Shut the machine down and unplug it from the power source (wall receptacle) and leave it that way for about half an hour. Then plug it back in, power the machine on, and try the USB ports.

Sounds goofy, but it works many times when nothing else will.

Advertisements

antechmrt

antechmrt

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I am also having a similar problem with my Acer Aspire 5100.
Can anyone help?
My USB Mouse and Keyboard work perfectly without any problem.
Also Code 43 is reported sometimes in deivce manager.
Tried anything and everthing suggested above.

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Okay, So i tried that and it worked the first time I plugged in my HD. So plugged in the second time (to a back USB port) and it didn't work, no response.
Do I have to always unplug the computer and stuff for it to work?

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
HELP!
my USB ports don't work again, it only worked for like 3 hours after the first fix and it hasn't been functioning again anymore :)

Help me please!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you try using the USB ports under a different OS? For example, a linux boot disc?

alexander255110

alexander255110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
It works perfectly with the Linux boot CD