Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD drive not reading disks....

• Please log in to reply

badbadbad

badbadbad

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

I work both at home and in the office. I have a Powerpoint presentation on a CD disk formatted as a WMV that I need to access on my home laptop... this is really irrelevant, as my problem is with any disks I place in my DVD/CD drive.

There are no problems with the driver in Device Manager, it says "this device is working properly". The drive appears in "My Computer" too.

When I put in the disk, I can hear the machine making a whizzing sound as if it's struggling with a task... I've come to the conclusion that the laser on my drive my be faulty, but would like some expert input - as alluded to in the topic, I have an urgent business need to access this CD on my home laptop.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks!

++++++++++++++++
edit
++++++++++++++++

Sometimes when I put a DVD in it can work sometimes... not always, but sometimes it will read the disk... but it NEVER reads a CD... Optiarc DVD RW AD-780S ATA Device is the spec... again, help would be seriously appreciated (even if it's just some advice to put my mind at ease) </desperate_rant>

Edited by badbadbad, 12 May 2010 - 11:54 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
You can try if you haven't already to clean the lens with one of those lens cleaner for DVD.

A dvd player has two laser one for reading CD and the other to read DVD, when it is able to read a disc is it always only the same kind (DVD).

It looks like your laser to read CD's is done and out while the other is almost done. Buy another one (DVD-RW) and replace yours would be my sugestion.

badbadbad

badbadbad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

You can try if you haven't already to clean the lens with one of those lens cleaner for DVD.

A dvd player has two laser one for reading CD and the other to read DVD, when it is able to read a disc is it always only the same kind (DVD).

It looks like your laser to read CD's is done and out while the other is almost done. Buy another one (DVD-RW) and replace yours would be my sugestion.

Cheers for the reply I appreciate your help .... Yeh, you've pretty much confirmed my suspicion, but I wanted a second opinion!

What I've done is buy a 2gb USB stick and used an internet café to copy the file. Now the DVD drive is bust I'm probably going to go ahead and buy a new Laptop... I'm due a new one to be honest - I'm using Vista w/2gb RAM and only 120gb h/d... not meeting my requirements anymore
Thanks again mate, appreciated :)