Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfer of data to a new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

saab123

saab123

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an older IBM thinkpad which is running win 98 SE. I have purchased a compatible hard drive with 40 gig capacity and want to swap this new hard drive with the current 6 gig installed hard drive. What is the best way to do this? Should I get a 2.5" hard drive caddy and put the old hard drive in that and copy the old drive's data, software and OS to the new 40 gig hard drive which is placed in the thinkpad? Will this method work in bringing over the win 98 OS?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, it will not work.

You would almost need to do it in several steps.

Make an image, swap drives, restore image, then use a partitioning program to expand the partition.

you might try these tools

http://www.sysresccd.org/

free, but not quite as easy as some like trueimage/ghost and partition magic.

saab123

saab123

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm slightly confused. If I make an image won't I need to have adequate hard drive space on the current hard drive to hold the image until I swap the old drive for the new drive? Also, why is partitioning needed on the new drive?

Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
make an image to cd,

you will need partition program because the image will be recreated on the new drive as is (same size partition as old drive)