Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Send Button" in Outlook 2003 Gone

• Please log in to reply

Marbella

Marbella

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for email.
Worked just fine until today, when the bar with "send" disappeared.
Actually, the email window takes up the entire screen with no bars on top at all.

I really need to get the send button back!!
Can you help?

Advertisements

Geoff47

Geoff47

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am no expert but hope this helps. Without further information, I can not tell how you lost it, but sometimes just closing down all programmes and restarting will bring back your previous settings. I use Outlook at work but am currently using Outlook Express at home. From memory the options for this particular issue are similar.

You can go to "Tools" in the top menu where you should find the "send" option, but if not there it will be under one of the other headings. As you also need the button for future use and you seem to have lost the toolbar, go to "View" in the top menu and choose "layout". That brings up a number of options for you to choose or remove via the tick box system (click on any). "Toolbar" should be ticked and then the button to the right gives you the option to "Customise Toolbar" where you can select which buttons you want displayed.

Geoff

Marbella

Marbella

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Geoff, thanks for taking the time to reply I tried all your suggestions, but the send button was NOWHERE on my computer. I finally gave up and called microsoft and got a really thorough tech. Spent 2 hours (luckily our long distance is all inclusive) undoing, redoing, searching, etc. and he finally decided that I needed a new email account He suggested I go to my server to get the information I needed (incoming and outgoing, password and user name) and set one up.

Verizon helped me set that up and wonder of wonders, it worked. I am now "sending" like crazy!

Geoff47

Geoff47

• Pip
  • 5 posts
It's a long time since i last had to do the pop and smtp bit. I am sorry my advice proved of no use but i am gald to hear that you are back in the world of e-mail.

Geoff

inspectastef

inspectastef

• Pip
  • 1 posts
rename the outcmd to outcmd.old and restart ouotlook

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You know this topic is almost 4 years old? I highly doubt the original poster will be back for this advice.

arv

arv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am SO thankful that they did post because I was looking for that exact problem. That solution was deadon! Thanks Inspectastef!

claremcc

claremcc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
where do I find the outcmd file? I searched all of My Computer to no avail!
Note: ctrl-enter to send still works, and F9 still works to send-and-receive, but both these buttons have mysteriously disappeared.

palisade

palisade

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Adding "THANKS" to Inspectastef for a solution that worked!

To find outcmd.dat, when you do your "Search" from the Start button, be sure you select the option to look for hidden files and folders. Or, you might try looking for
C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Application Data\Outlook\outcmd.dat

Tappit

Tappit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Another thankful Outlook user who lost his Send button in the middle of sending an important email,

Please don't delete this useful info.

Even if it's several years old, I'm sure there will be many others rescued by it over the next decade.

Thanks again!!

Edited by Tappit, 01 May 2010 - 06:25 AM.

anto9929

anto9929

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thanks inspectastef - another happy camper helped by your solution from Dublin! Never mind grumpyboots above, keep posting, thanks again!

KingKongBear

KingKongBear

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you inspectastef renaming the
C:\Documents and Settings\"YOUR USER ID"\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outcmd.dat
file to outcmd.old
and restarting Outlook did the trick.

I guess the user above named "sari" can learn something about why responding to old post is good.
If one person had the problem there are usually thousands of others.